10

A Phone CallAugust 25, 1968

A Phone Call
August 25, 1968

It was hard to believe August was nearly over. Georgia's four-month anniversary of moving to Tulsa was nearing. She'd officially known the boys for a month. And due to the recent hire at Paulette's, she'd been able to spend ample time with them. She learned lots about all of them in their time together. Darry didn't smoke and hated bananas. Sodapop's favorite move was Rebecca, even though he hated the accents. Ponyboy was insanely smart and got a kick out of correcting people. Two-Bit was without a doubt the nicest, even though he was a bit scatterbrained. Steve was, well, Steve, and he enjoyed doing stupid things. For example, he tried jumping onto the roof from on top of a car. Even though it worked, he ended up with a busted lip. Lastly, Johnny was a professional at pressing people's buttons.

Dally, however, gave no indication that he'd be any nicer than the bare minimum. Whatever heart-to-heart moment he and Georgia had on her birthday was dead and gone. She wondered if his ability to change his emotions like this tired him out. There was no way it wasn't debilitating trying to convince everyone he was someone he wasn't.

They were all sat at the kitchen table, midday sunlight bathed the room in a warm glow. Everyone was bored. The heat had made the outdoors almost unbearable. It was like the weather was taunting them. There was nothing to do inside, but the outside was sticky and gross. Every few minutes someone would suggest something to do, but it was always followed by a choir of groans. Georgia hadn't offered anything until this point, because she had a feeling it'd be denied. Then she had a ridiculous idea.

"Any of you want a tattoo?" she cracked her knuckles to occupy herself. All the boys looked at her as if she'd suggested they commit arson.

"What?" Steve asked. He'd been the one suggesting the most and was clearly unsure of how this captured everyone's attention.

"I gave myself a few shitty ones," Georgia pulled her left sleeve up to show a small collection of stick-and-pokes on her bicep, "they all suck but it's something to do till we find something better."

"I'm sold, I want a heart," Johnny shrugged.

"It's going to be garbage, just so you know," Georgia reminded him. This was obvious by the shaky fading lines on her arm.

"I can't look any worse," Johnny motioned to himself.

"Right then I need a needle, a pen, some string, and a pencil," Georgia started clearing the table while Johnny went to search for supplies. The rest of the boys filtered into the family room, where they waited to see how Johnny's tattoo turned out. The tv had been turned on and was relatively loud. Johnny returned with the necessary items.