1

Chapter 1

"Psst. Psst." I subtly turned to face my best friend of seven years, shooting him a sharp glare. He continued to grin at me, bringing his very used pencil up to his open mouth, his large hand practically smothering the poor wooden stick.

"What, Lucas?" I hissed out, trying not to draw attention to myself. It was a good thing Luke had dragged the two of us to the back of the room at the beginning of the year, otherwise we would be in some deep shit right now.

"Do you have the answer for number seven?" My eyebrows rose slightly, and I stared at him, emotionless. You have got to be shitting me right now.

"This is a test, Luke, as in no talking or sharing answers." I rolled my eyes at his pouting face, before struggling to keep in a laugh at the sight of his hair. He never brushed it, it was always sticking up in random directions, and he stood out like a cactus in a field of daisies. Or maybe he was the daisy in field of cacti.

The truth was, he didn't even need the help. For one thing he was the best in the class, and the second thing was that he wouldn't want it, because I was only up to question five.

I got back to my own math test, trying to regain my interrupted train of thought. Not a minute later, there was an insistent tapping on my back.

Sighing in exasperation, I turned back around to face him. "What now?" I glanced either side of me as a few heads lifted up in our direction, smiling wryly at them.

"We should hang out after school." There was a strange excited light in his caramel eyes. I stared at him in confusion and fear. There was something wrong with this boy.

"Uh, are you feeling alright?" I asked him slowly, eyeing him warily. When he nodded furiously, I spoke again. "You sure? I think we need to take you to see a doctor, considering we've hung out after school basically every day since we were ten."

He shrugged, a large grin forming on his face. "I have an idea."

My eyes widened, and I shook my head. "No, no way, I am not taking part in another one of your crazy plans. The last one broke my wrist." I turned back around, glancing at my hopeless math teacher.

I say hopeless because she was currently passed out on her desk, a trail of drool running from her old and wrinkled mouth down to the sheets of paper she was meant to be grading.

Going back to my paper, I scribbled down the last few answers, not caring if I got them wrong, before turning back to Lucas. He was sitting there smugly, all stretched out, hands behind his head.

"You don't even need help with math Luke, you're top of the class." I rolled my eyes as he shrugged, winking at the girl beside him, who gave him a look of disgust. He wasn't lucky with the ladies, but he didn't need to be.

"Seriously Lucas, what's this idea of yours? Because if it involves the possibility of anyone getting hurt, then I'm not interested." I turned back around in my chair, irritation seeping into my bones. I was getting sick of him and his stupid plans that always got someone hurt, or in trouble, or angry. Usually all three, most of them me. It wasn't fun anymore.

He sighed, and tapped me on the shoulder. I shrugged him off, keeping my head down. I felt him lean forwards behind me, his hot breath fanning across the back of my neck. Goosebumps rose along the skin of my arms, and I hastily pulled my sleeves down, my gut already sinking from what he was about to say.

"We're going to throw a party."

***

Biting my nails anxiously, I glanced around the room for the millionth time. What if Lucas' parents decided to come home? We'd be so totally screwed, not to mention grounded. I couldn't shake the uneasy feeling from the pit of my stomach. Something was going to go very, very wrong.