D.A.R.E. program- chapter 9

I sat in my room nervously, the jacket sitting on my bed across from me. I was messing with the pens on my desk, and waiting for the sound of rocks on my window. I didn't want to risk my mom treating him like she treats me, so I was just gonna sneak him in through my window. God, why was I so nervous? He was just grabbing his jacket that I kept. I fumbled around with the things that were scattered on my desk, shoving away anything that might cause an embarrassing reaction.

"Heyyyy- open up, it's cold out here." I turned to the window in surprise, seeing that Mark had scaled the tree and was hanging forward from a branch.

"What are you doing?? You didn't have to climb up, I was just gonna throw it down!" I asked, rushing over to the window and flinging it open. I heard him giggle uncontrollably and cocked an eyebrow.

"Well too bad, I'm coming in," he exclaimed, reaching forward and grabbing the ledge. When he leaned inside I could very clearly smell something strong coming from him. Wait a minute..

"Mark, have you been smoking?" I asked, watching him clamber into my room and flop onto my bed.

"Mnnn maybe. That's for me to know," he replied slowly, putting his hands behind his head and grinning at me.

"Oh come on, you reek of it. And get your shoes off my bed," I said, grabbing his legs and moving them off my mattress. He laughed at this and stuck his leg up in the air.

"Well take off my shoes then I'm lazy," he taunted. I couldn't help but smile at his goofiness, but I pushed his leg aside and grabbed the jacket from beside him.

"Here. This is what you came for, remember?" I asked, waving it in front of his face. He nodded and put his arms behind his head into a relaxed position.

"Yeah yeah," he replied. "In a sec. That walk was tiring," he groaned. I looked at him stubbornly.

"You live like three blocks away."

He shushed me and grinned widely. I examined him for a moment. His eyes were glazed over, and puffy. He seemed a lot more relaxed then he normally did, which I couldn't tell if that was a good or bad thing.

I felt my ears perk up at the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs. My heart started to race as my brain discerned that these were indeed my mother's footsteps. In a panic I looked back at Mark who was looking toward the door.

I quickly rushed over to him, and grabbed his arm to sling it around my shoulders.

"Don't make any noise, and don't come out ok?" I instructed, dragging him over to my closet.

"You got it babe," he said clicking his tongue at me. I rolled my eyes and shoved him in, closing the door and rushing to my desk chair. I held my breath and said a quick prayer as I heard her footsteps stop in front of my door.

"Who are you talking to?" I turned to my open bedroom door and gave her my best confused look.

"What do you mean?" I asked. She looked around the room before shaking her head.

"Nothing...hey, where the hell is your dad at?" She asked. I gulped and shrugged.

"I think he said he was going to a meeting tonight..." I replied nervously. She eyed me suspiciously and glared.

"Are you lying to me?" She asked. Even though I wasn't, I started to feel my legs shake.

"No, I swear I'm not." I said quickly. She sat looking at me for a few moments before turning away.

"Fine. Keep quiet, I'm going to bed." I nodded in relief, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders. As the door shut behind her, I sighed and turned back to my closet.