Chapter 2: In the Nick of Time

Start from the beginning

Her attention was redirected suddenly when she realized Ron was talking to her. "Sorry, what? I zoned out for a second," Hermione said as she gave him her attention.

"We were just talking about what happened yesterday with the Bludger. Harry and I were trying to figure out what caused it. Hooch was the angriest we've ever seen her," he repeated, shaking his head slowly in leftover disbelief.

Harry chimed in, "Dumbledore and McGonagall called all of the Quidditch captains into a meeting to ask if we knew anything. I thought I'd seen McGonagall mad, but this was a new level," he stated, shuddering a bit at the memory. She knew full well how terrifying her professor could be when she got protective.

Hermione shook her head, widening her eyes as she took in the new information. "I told them all not to worry about it. I wasn't hurt, and it's not something we should be focused on when Voldemort is systematically working his way through taking over the Ministry and the Prophet. There are clearly bigger priorities than what happened yesterday," she said nonchalantly, stirring honey into her tea.

Ron's expression changed and he stared at her like she was batshit crazy. "Are you kidding? Everyone knows that you're in danger - a Muggle-born and one of Harry's best friends. You are walking around with a giant target painted on your back and it's a bigger risk than you realize. You need to be careful Hermione," he said, his voice growing quiet with his admission, "You know we couldn't do any of this without you." Ron's eyes were suddenly blazing with a quiet fire behind them.

Hermione's mouth quirked up on one side and her eyes softened as she absorbed the intensity of his words. "I know you both care about me, and I know how protective you can be. But I'm asking you not to worry about this. You two know better than anyone that I am fully capable of holding my own just fine. I've made it this far with you lot, haven't I?" she implored. "Besides, I'm hoping that Harry will drop his Malfoy obsession now that he quite literally saved my life," she hinted, looking pointedly at the dark haired boy.

Harry returned her stare, shoveling a forkful of eggs into his mouth. "Not likely," he said after he swallowed his food. "I know he's up to something, I can feel it. I don't know what it is though, but I'm telling you, something is different about this year." Harry turned around, faking a stretch as he snuck a glance at Malfoy.

She had never quite understood her best friend's infatuation with Draco Malfoy. It was getting ridiculous really, at this point. They were already in their sixth year, and every time they'd suspected him so far it had always turned out to be someone else. It was time to give up on the Slytherin - clearly it had been established time and time again he was nothing more than your average bully.

However, now there was a hint of understanding tickling the back of her mind - even though it was something she hated to admit. She knew it was nowhere near as obsessive as Harry's of course, but she was starting to catch herself over-analyzing the things Malfoy was doing as she snuck occasional looks at him from across the Great Hall.

She shifted her gaze back to Harry as he rambled on about his suspicions, which still sounded to her like they were completely unfounded beyond speculation at this point. She side eyed Ron, who seemed to be following along with Harry quite nicely. She rolled her eyes, before cutting in and interrupting him.

"Honestly Harry, don't you have anything better to do than prattle on about Malfoy? I've already forgotten that Draco Malfoy of all people saved my life, and I'll be expecting you to do the same." She tried her best to ignore the fact that she just told her best friend a bold-faced lie, and noticed that Harry was rising from his seat.

"Where are you going?" she asked, arching an eyebrow, "We don't need to leave for Transfiguration for another twenty minutes." She may have interrupted his stream of consciousness about Malfoy, but the feeling that was resting in her gut said he was going to go stick his nose exactly where he shouldn't. She had learned over the past five years with the boys that the feeling was almost always correct.