Chapter 7: Choked Up

"Is there something wrong, Dr. Foster? You haven't touched your meal."

You do your best to school your expression into one of polite neutrality as you take in the strange sight of the pale, blond-haired man shaking out an alarming number of pills onto the palm of his hand, tapping loudly on a bottle seemingly produced out of nowhere. He pops them all into his mouth at once and you pray you won't have to perform the Heimlich maneuver as he chases them down with a few gulps of water.

A smile spreads across the doctor's lips as his eyes fall upon your collarbones once more. You were used to feeling like a third wheel by now, even when alone with Luke Foster, given his penchant for carrying on conversations while staring intently at your bones. But you took no offence at his behaviour, especially after Baba's attempts to give you insight into Luke's peculiar mannerisms:

"Try not to take it personal, Miss. Lu will look at anyone who's got beautiful collarbones. It's a well-known fact that he's obsessed with the boss's - he's even framed the X-ray films of Eisuke's bones. He likely just wants yours to add to his collection."

Strange though it was, the request that Luke be allowed to have X-rays films of your collarbones in exchange for appearing on Miracle Finder was innocent enough. Certainly nothing that warranted the stony silence you received on the other end of the line when you called Victor the other day to tell him that Dr. Foster wanted to examine you. After a brusque "I have to go," he had hung up. No goodbyes, not even a mutter of "dummy."

But Luke Foster had been nothing short of a perfect gentleman, never once laying a hand on you. Moreover, he even insisted on paying for tonight's meal despite the fact that you had invited him as thanks for appearing on the show.

"Please, just call me Luke. Vitamins and water are all I need to survive. I only ordered because Eisuke said it might be awkward if you seemed to be the only one dining."

"I-I see." You smile, taking another bite of wagyu. And for a moment, you are too wrapped up in the blissful way it seemed to melt on your tongue to be disconcerted by the strange events of the evening.

You weren't, however, too distracted to continue throwing surreptitious glances in Victor's direction, fighting to keep composed each time Diana's laughter carried over to your table. What were the chances that you'd find yourselves at the same restaurant in all of Tokyo? You know that he knows you are here; even Chik couldn't put on a performance convincing enough for the LFG CEO to believe for a second that you didn't see him.

With your dismal acting skills, you definitely didn't stand a chance.

"You're in love with him."

COUGH, COUGH!

You clear the steak lodged in the back of your throat with a few hacking coughs, half of your face hidden behind your napkin as you tried to be as discreet as possible, the words "Death by Wagyu" flashing through your mind. After soothing your throat with a sip of wine, you ask:

"I beg your pardon?"

"You're in love with that man sitting just over there with the woman dressed in red. That Victor fellow who accompanied you to that first meeting with Eisuke."

For someone who seemed to pay very little attention to matters that didn't concern bones, Luke Foster was surprisingly perceptive. Or maybe you weren't as discrete as you thought you were and it was obvious to all but yourself that you were staring at the golden couple.

"I...how did you...what makes you—"

"Please pass this message on to him for me. If he doesn't treat your collarbones with the respect they deserve, he can't blame me for swooping in to take his place."

Then, for the very first time that night, Luke Foster looks you in the eye, the intensity in blue-grey irises making your breath hitch when he says: "Until then, I hope you find happiness with him, Sexy Bones — especially since he also seems to be exceedingly fond of you. Quite the annoyance, really."

And for the very first time that night, you smile freely, naturally, at Luke, blushing hard as you contemplate his words. Suddenly bashful, you drop your gaze only to catch sight of the manila envelope you brought with you. You pass it across the table to him.

"Here. Your payment for agreeing to appear on Miracle Finder."

The expression on Luke's face can best be described as euphoric when he takes the films from you, momentarily excusing himself from the table as he murmurs something about requiring brighter lighting to examine them.

That is when you hear the buzz of your phone from inside your purse. And when you finally fish it out, you see a single text from Victor, commanding as always:

"MEET ME AT THE BAR IN THE TRES SPADES HOTEL IN AN HOUR. DON'T BE LATE."