Chapter 29: Julian Magnicus of The Empire

Mulai dari awal

Once seated, Fredric nodded approvingly towards Julian and whispered. "I am so proud of you!"

Julian looked at him with contempt. "What is it to be proud of?" His voice shook violently. What Julian experienced, he had felt nothing like it before. Was it regret, shame, guilt, sorrow, anger? He couldn't tell.

"You don't understand it at first. Nobody does, but in time you realise it's the hardship required of us. We endure to rule. No changes come without bloodied hands."

The speaker continued talking, but Julian didn't listen, he was so caught up in his mind. Murdering innocent people? Julian thought to himself. Is that what it takes to rule? Perhaps... Certainly, in order to create stability, some must be vanquished.

He was so shaken up, he could barely escape the thoughts of the woman he just murdered. It was the first one he had ever killed. To kill love and beauty? Is that what it takes to rule?

The man that had embraced Julian remained standing in the middle of the circle. "As the rites of initiation have been concluded, the meeting can concur." He announced to everyone present.

While the man continued talking. Julian scouted around the room, trying to see who his spectators were, but he could not see their faces. The room was enormous and had a high ceiling, the only windows were positioned at the top, barely letting any light through.

The building he found himself in was of strange, ancient architecture. It had been built more than two thousand years ago. It does not only look strange since it's old. It wasn't built by men, or so his father had told him when he mentioned the pact for the first time, just two days ago. Julian thought back to that moment, as he now understood what his father meant.

He played back the memory he and his father had in his head. Fredric had summoned him into his room at the ship. Once there, Fredric had handed him a large cup of the finest wine from the Bridging Islands and explained. "Son, it is time! You are about to join the most powerful organisation in the world. It has no name, but we refer to it as the Pact. But first, sacrifices will be demanded of you... And it's crucial you do them!"

It was one of the few times Fredric had looked afraid. Julian didn't recognise him at all. He had walked back and forth. His ability to formulate proper sentences seemed to have been lost, and he was so direct. "Once entering the meeting room, The Centre. Not even I can help you. Do you understand?"

Julian nodded in response. "I will do whatever they ask!"

"Anything! No matter how horrible, do you understand?"

"Yes, I do!" Julian insisted.

"This is no game! If they ask you to murder, will you do it?"

Julian hesitated for a moment before answering. "In that case, I will do it for you!"

"No! You will do it for yourself!" Fredric said. "Do you understand?"

Julian's assurances didn't really help to ease Fredric's worries as much as he thought. He walked back and forth with haste, caught up in his mind.

"I assume we are heading to meet with The Pact now?" Julian asked.

"Indeed, we are!"

"So where is that?" Where are we heading?"

"We are heading to the World's End, it's called. It's an ancient castle, standing on a cliff on a small island, unknown to the common man. The entire Island works as headquarters for The Pact. In the top of the castle's highest tower is the pact's sacred room, called The Centre. Legends say it's where the first pact was formed."