Chapter 16: Aldus Morg of The Empire

Several nights after his meeting with Marseile, Aldus had barely slept. Paranoid as never before, every sound made his heart jump. Those few times he fell asleep, he saw that horrifying face of Hans, that hooded man. Something about him made the spine crawl and produce nightmares. There were old legends of the Templars collaborating with a forgotten order of assassins. One look at the man, Hans, and Aldus knew it to be true.

Bloody idiot, why did I go? Aldus cursed himself. He wanted to gain information out of Marseile, instead, he set himself on a path of no return. They really asked me to murder an innocent child!

Going after your enemy's children was nothing new. History is filled with high nobility wiping out entire families, down to every infant. However, Aldus himself had never been involved with such a dirty business.

And what do I get in return? Would Marseile come through for me? Not likely at all. He is trying to use me... He was now certain. There was nothing to be gained by siding with Marseile. Once again, the man creeping in the shadows invaded his mind. Those who don't do Marseile bidding will be visited by that man. Marseile controlled people by fear.

He played the scenario of that night cursed night at Magnus keep, over and over, until the sun was rising. Learning what he had learned, he entertained the idea of exposing Marseile, as he had done many times before. But he came to the same conclusion as always. Nobody would believe him. On top of all, if he would succeed in that, his own family would be exposed as well in the process. Whatever path he chooses, it would be wrong and have severe consequences. If I do Marseile's bidding, I will regret it for the rest of my life. If I don't, I will regret it for the rest of my life.

Or was there really no other way? Why choose a side when he can bet on himself? Because of severe sleep deprivation, he suddenly made up his mind, the time for indecision was over, he had to act. Once Marseile realised Aldus would never do his bidding, it would all be over. He had to be prepared...

"Harland!" Aldus shouted as he was lying naked in his bed. His heart was pumping with adrenaline.

The door flew open just seconds after. Harland went in, fully dressed and combed. "What's the matter, my lord?" He asked.

"Where is your weapon?" Aldus shouted. He scanned Harland from top to toe. "Are you serious? Are you guarding me without a weapon?"

"But I am your squire, Lord." Harland apologised, bowing down. "The palace has guards enough as it is. But if my lord wishes, I can bring my sword."

Aldus rose from his bed. Paranoid, he scouted around his bed chambers.

"Some wine, my lord?" Harland offered Aldus a cup.

"Harland!" Aldus snapped. "I am trying to be serious here. I have concluded that I need more protection. Are you knighted yet?"

Harland shook his head. "I am only thirteen, my lord. But I am well acquainted with the sword--."

"My brother and I had been knighted long by then!" Aldus interrupted him.

"But you and your brother are--."

"Who is the Bucksby master of arms?" Aldus interrupted him once more.

"Sir Gary Tamber..."

Sir Gary Tamber was a renowned knight, known for spending more than a decade as a mercenary in the Eastern kingdoms.

Aldus jumped around his room and suddenly started to organise the things lying around simultaneously as he was getting dressed. While getting his pants on, he reached for a bag of coins. He put one of his hands on Harland's shoulder and gave the bag of coins with the other. "Sir Tamber, if he is the man I think he is..." He said. "Then good! I trust your words. Anyway, I don't know what I am expecting. Take the coins, go to each tavern you can locate, and find me some battle-hardened veterans looking for work."