Code of Silence - Chapter 29

Alex was visibly exhausted now, head rested against my shoulder and falling asleep in the back of the car. I was shattered as well; we'd had two sleepless nights in row and were still on the move. Over the last twenty-four hours we'd avoided being kidnapped, and dodged bullets. We'd been hunted by the Russian mafia, by car and helicopter, and now we had been interrogated by the NCA's senior cybercrime officers.

We were in the back seat of an unmarked police car with a police protection officer and an MI5 operative, on the way back to the university. The local police had been informed of the case details by the NCA and were already at the university making enquiries regarding Theo's disappearance. Initial feedback confirmed that the campus CCTV had picked up several images matching the description of Dragovich, which was a start.

A meeting had been arranged with senior officers at the local police station first, where they were hoping we could provide as much detail as possible on Theo's last movements. We'd been updated in the car by the MI5 officer who confirmed Theo's father had finally been located in Moscow at an infamous ex KGB prison, now operated by the government as a detention centre for those accused of crimes against the state, and that an urgent diplomatic operation was now underway to secure his release, ensuring a speedy repatriation within days. This was the best news I'd heard for a long time, but it didn't seem right that it was Alex and me hearing it first.

There were also reports, although unconfirmed, that someone matching Anatoly Dragovich's description had been intercepted by Heathrow airport security. Apparently he was preparing to board a flight to San Francisco, and was now being held for further questioning.

"But surely if it was him he'd be heading back to Russia, wouldn't he?" I said, seeking eye contact with the driver in the mirror. I hoped and prayed that it was Dragovich who had been detained: it would feel like a huge weight was being lifted from me if it was.

"Well let's not assume anything just yet, but it sounds promising, and these things develop rapidly so we'll know more soon," said the officer calmly. His face was bathed by the amber glow from the dials in the dashboard, as he focussed on the darkness ahead.

Neither Alex nor I had been in touch with our parents yet, fearing that they'd worry unnecessarily, and what help could they offer us anyway? I'd had some encouraging news about my father's improving health via a text and voicemail from Mrs Denton, and was keen to get home as soon as possible to witness it for myself. Alex and I had agreed that it would be better for us to return home in a few days, once we had provided the authorities with all the help we could. Breaking the news of our adventures face to face would reassure our families that we were safe and well in a way that a phone call never could.

I continued to check my phone and the GPS app, but there were no further updates. Theo had been playing on our minds a great deal. We'd been trying to help him get out of the mess he'd found himself in and had only just managed to save ourselves; whatever he was enduring was far worse than what we'd had to deal with. This would be an important meeting with the police, and we were keen to do everything we could to make sure Theo was returned safe and well.

As we passed the university campus on the way to the police station it stirred up mixed emotions for me. It was good to be back in familiar surroundings, but it was also the scene of Theo's disappearance and a chilling reminder of what we'd just been through. I felt safer for the moment, particularly in the back of the police car, but would have to return at some point to resume my studies, and that would be a challenge. I reflected on what the liaison officer at the NCA had mentioned about post-trauma counselling for us as part of the debrief process. I hadn't really thought about it much at the time, although I realised now that it was perhaps these mixed emotions I was feeling that they had been referring to when offering support. I'd keep it in mind as I tried to regain some sense of normality.