“All adoptions here at Family Connections, and at any other agencies, fall into two basic categories: an open adoption or a closed adoption. In closed adoption, you nor the adoptive parents will have no contact whatsoever. This is true both before and after the child is handed over. A random family is selected for your child and basically, once your child is born, you move on with your life.

“Your other option is an open adoption. About 90% of the adoptions we do here at Family Connections are open. In an open adoption, you get to meet with prospective parents of your child. You will be able to interview them, visit their residence and interact with them as much as you choose. You are in control. Many birth parents and adoptive parents also choose to keep in contact after the adoption is closed. Often times, birth parents stay involved in their child’s lives but are viewed as family friends or aunts and uncles. Although, it is not unheard of to be referred to as ‘mommy and daddy number two.’”

“Wow. That’s a lot.” Keisha drinks her water. “Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want a closed adoption. That sounds like hell.”

Hannah shrugs. “Some people just wanna hand over their baby and be over with it. It isn’t my favorite option but it’s better than abortion. I respect anyone parent that chooses adoption over abortion.”

“Oh.” Keisha nods. I look at her then back at Hannah. This is actually all really interesting.

“So,” Hannah turns the page. “We have three levels of open adoption if that’s what you wanna do. First there’s what I call the ‘open and close.’ You first take an extensive online survey, noting what you want in prospective parents. When I say extensive, I mean extensive. You can choose what salary you want this couple to make, if you want a your child in a house where they keep animals, what race you want these parents to be, etcetera. Of course, the more criteria you set, the less options you’ll have. You are then able to interview as many parents as you’d like. You choose your parents. After you give birth, you then pass over your child and you and the parents decide if you’d like to keep a relationship.

“The second level includes everything I just mentioned. However, the parents are more involved in your pregnancy. They are required to reimburse you for any medical expenses you inquire throughout your pregnancy.

“And finally, there’s the third level.” She turns the page and my head is spinning from all the info. “In addition to all the info I mentioned before, these parents are required to provide you with anything you need, or want, during your pregnancy. Yoga classes, ice cream, housing. Anything.

“The only catch with this one and the second level open adoption is that if at any point in your pregnancy, you decide that you don’t want to give your baby up, you must reimburse the adoptive parents with for amenities they have provided you during your pregnancy. In addition, you must pay a $5,000 fine to Family Connections.”

“So basically,” Keisha chimes in. “There’s no going back.”

“Well, you can always change your mind but there are penalties for your actions. Once adoptive parents get involved, they immediately feel attached to the child and tearing this away from them is a hard thing for them to go through.”

“I see.” Keisha nods. “To be honest, I’m not so sure about this adoption thing.”

“Of course not.” Hannah closes the portfolio and hands it to Keisha. “This is yours to keep and think about. Most people considering adoption don’t come in until four or five months into their pregnancy so you being nine weeks is early. Just think about it and call me when you’re ready.”

Hannah pulls another portfolio out from underneath her desk. “And this is a portfolio of 10 parents who are already willing to adopt your child and participate in a closed adoption or any level of open adoption that you choose. In addition, that online survey I told you about? The link is on the last page. I definitely think you should talk this all over with the father, your mother, your friend here and anyone you’re close to. Okay?”

Keisha just nods. “Thank you so much.”

“You’re welcome.” Hannah walks us towards the door. “I’ll call you at the end of the month, see where your head is at.”

We say goodbye and I hold the portfolios as we make our way back to the train station.

“That’s a lot to think about,” I finally say to Keisha.

“Yeah.”

I look over at Keish and her eyes are watering. We stop on the sidewalk and people shove their way past us. I hug her hard and don’t let go.

“Don’t cry. We’re gonna get through this.”

“I know,” Keisha sobs. “I just don’t know if I can get rid of this baby. Not to total strangers Ev. What if I choose a level three open adoption and decide when Bubba is born that I wanna keep him or her? Where the hell would I get $5,000? And money to reimburse?”

“Shh,” I quiet her down. “It’s gonna be okay. We’ll talk to your mom and hopefully Cole too ‘cause he needs to be involved in this. Even if you don’t opt for adoption, it’s gonna work out. Things always work out.”

“You’re too optimistic,” Keisha whispers into my shoulder.

I laugh a little. “Someone has to be. Now let’s go get some ice cream before we head home.”