Epilogue

Evie's POV

The first year of college has been all too stressful. Since Cal Poly Pomona is a school that specializes in technology, engineering and architecture, the marine biology major is crap.

Going to any of the UCs I was accepted into would have guaranteed me a better education as they're all research based schools. But I made the sacrifice for Tony. And I'm glad I did.

I've only seen Tony twice since I started school back in September but we still talk everyday and somehow, our relationship is stronger than it was back in high school. Finals week starts tomorrow so I'll get to see Tony at the end of the week when I go home for break. And we'll get to spend three weeks together.

I finally close my laptop and make my way back to my dorm. There's only so much studying you can do the night before finals and I've been studying since noon.

I scan my student I.D. to get into my residential hall then take the elevator to the fourth floor. Walking down the hallway towards the room I share with a girl from Kansas, I notice the door is closed. We usually leave it open until we fall asleep. It's only 9p.m. so I know Carly isn't sleeping yet.

I have to dig out my room key from the bottom of my backpack. When I finally open the door, I see Tony sitting on my bed with his phone in hand.

"Hey," he says, looking up from his phone. I drop all my stuff and run straight towards. I throw myself on top of him and he laughs.

"Hey," I finally say in his chest. "I missed you."

"I missed you too Evette." Unfortunately, that's all he calls me now. That and baby. I kinda do miss being called mamas and even negrita. He's changed but not in a bad way. Every time I talk to him, he seems more mature than the last time.

I run my hands through his hair, or buzzcut to be more exact. "What are you doing here baby?"

"I thought I'd say hi to my girlfriend. And I just wanted to hold you." And he does. I fall asleep to him rubbing my back.

The loud banging on my room door wakes both me and Tony.

"One hour until all guests must leave Pacific Commons!" my residence adviser yells from the other side of door. She makes a point to remind each and every resident of the rules, every night.

I look over at the clock and it's 11p.m. Tony is wiping the sleep out of his eyes and I stand up to stretch.

"What happened to my roommate by the way?"

"That blonde chick?" Tony stands up in front me. "She said she was going to a house party and was cool with me staying here for a few hours."

"Oh. Gotcha." I wrap my arms around his neck. "Thank you for coming."

We kiss and Tony pulls away.

"But, I didn't just come to take a nap with you. Although, it was nice."

I turn my head to the side. "Is something wrong?" I'm suddenly panicked. "Donny?"

"No Evette."

"Emily." I put my hand over my chest. "Is she okay?"

Tony laughs. "Emily and Donny are both fine. Elementary school isn't giving them any problems. Same old with the two of them."

"Is it Keisha?! The baby?!"

Tony laughs even harder. "Noo Evette. Kiesha and baby Dilan are both fine. Keisha's going to Kennedy, the community college? They have a daycare to watch Dilan during the day. I think Cole even started coming around. He wants to be part of Dilan's life."

I let out a breath. "Okay Tony. I know it's not my mom because I talked to her today. Will you please just tell me?"

Tony reaches into his pocket and steps back. He then puts his right foot forward and gets down on one knee.

"Evette."

My hands immediately go to my mouth and I start shaking my head.

"I love you so much. The past two years of my life have been incredible and I know that's because they were spent with you. Like you like to say, we're young and foolish but one thing that I know for sure is that I want to spend the rest of my life with you.

"This is a proposal but it's also something more. It's my promise to you that I'm going to love you forever. And I'm willing to wait. We'll finish school and get our degrees like we planned. But as soon as the opportunity comes up, I'm going to marry you Evette Johnson."

I'm crying so hard that my head is hurting.

"But that's only if you say yes." Tony smiles at me. "So Evette, will you marry me?"

I nod. "Yes. Of course." He slides the ring on my finger and it's beautiful. It is the shape of an oval and it catches the light at every angle.

Tony stands up, pulls me in for a hug and brings his lips to my ear.

"This is the start of forever."