Part 2

Suga had kept his mind away from Oikawa and Kageyama's problem for several days, but it was always in the back of his mind, never forgotten.

A few minutes after practice began, Ukai asked him, "Suga, can you run to this shop a little far from here? I ordered something and I don't trust anyone but you and the other third years to not take their time to get out of practice, and Daichi and Asahi look busy."

Suga laughed. "I'll go. Can someone come with me?"

"Sure. Take Yamaguchi and Yachi with you." Ukai motioned for them to come over. Yamaguchi came over, holding his ball under his arm just as Yachi ran over. "Yes?"

"Can you two go with Suga to this store to pick up something?" Ukai asked. They both glanced at each other and nodded. "Sure."

"Good. Here's the address." Ukai handed Yachi a slip of paper. Yamaguchi leaned over her shoulder. "I know where that is."

Ukai nodded. "That's great. Hurry back, although I trust you three."

Thirty minutes later, the three of them walked out of the store Ukai had told them to go to. Yachi was holding a large brown paper bag. Yamaguchi offered, "I'll take that."

"It's fine!" She quickly said. Yamaguchi took it from her anyway, and she visibly relaxed and breathed in relief. Suga glanced at the two of them. They were walking on either side of him, awkwardly avoiding one another's eyes. "Um, we can cut through this park. It would be faster." Yamaguchi hastily suggested.

"Good idea." Suga nodded, wanting to get back quickly. They walked through the gate of the park and were immediately surrounded by a wave of kids. Suga scanned the area for another path when he suddenly saw a familiar face. "Yamaguchi, Yachi, hurry!"

"What?" They both asked. Suga took off, and the two of them exchanged puzzled glances before following him. The crowds around him thinned out and he stopped where it was empty. Yamaguchi and Yachi caught up to him. "What happened, Suga?"

"That's Oikawa." He motioned toward the person walking in the opposite direction and holding a little kid's hand. Yamaguchi's jaw dropped. "Let's go then!"

"Not yet." Suga raised his voice. "Oikawa!"

He turned back, and Yachi stumbled, grabbing Suga's arm. Oikawa's eyes widened at the sight of them as Suga approached. Yamaguchi hung back warily before following. "Sugawara Koushi. What do you want?"

"I needed to ask you something," Suga answered. Oikawa glanced down at his nephew, who was staring at Yamaguchi. "Who're you?"

"I-I'm Yamaguchi Tadashi." He knelt down. Oikawa's nephew replied, "I'm Takeru!"

Yachi gave Takeru a tiny wave. "I'm Hitoka."

Suga pulled Oikawa away from the three of them, and Oikawa frowned and tilted his head. "Ask your question. Make it quick."

Suga hesitated, and then went on anyway. "I want to know your history with Kageyama."

Oikawa didn't reply. Suga continued, "Why do you hate him so much? You were his upperclassman three years ago. You should've been there for him, not hating him."

Oikawa clenched his fist. "You don't understand."

"Then explain," Suga said. Oikawa took a deep breath. "Kageyama... he's one of the best setters I have ever seen."

Suga was caught off-guard. "What? But you-"

"What I mean is that he has the natural talent I never had." Oikawa interrupted. His eyes were blazing. "I've always had to work to play volleyball. Tobio just... he can just do it. And back in middle school, my third year was going badly. I misfired my tosses, my receives. I kept going... but then one day, Tobio subbed me in a game." Oikawa's voice was strong as if he was holding back his emotions. 

"After that game, Tobio asked me to teach him how to serve. I was so angry, I almost punched him, but Iwaizumi stopped me. Tobio always acted scared of me after that. He tried to tone down his power so I wouldn't be taken out again. But when I left, in his second year, he let out all of the strength and energy and power he had been hiding."

Oikawa looked at his nephew, who was racing with Yamaguchi. "Sometimes I regret it. But I can't face him after tormenting him in his first year of middle school, not after him winning against some of the most powerful schools in the nation."

Suga was stunned. "But Kageyama respects you."

"He used to respect me." Oikawa corrected. Suga shook his head. "He still does. You should see him when we're talking about other setters. He goes on and on about how amazing you are and were. Sure, he's a little bitter, but only because he envies your skill. There's a reason why he asked you to teach him to serve."

"Because he looked up to me. But now he doesn't. That was ruined three years ago." Oikawa told him. Suga paused. "You could fix it."

Oikawa tilted his head. "I didn't do so much wrong to have to apologize to my Underclassman, Sugawara."

"Neither of you did. But Kageyama... he still looks up to you. Daichi and Hinata and I can tell he regrets trying to be such a good setter in middle school." Suga exclaimed. "Oikawa, I'm a setter, just like you. A setter's job is to hold their team together. And if you can't even hold your past together... how can you handle your team?"

"I hold my team together fine." Oikawa snapped. Suga crossed his arms. "You do. But what about your past? Someday, if you don't heal it, you're going to regret it. Like your knee brace."

Oikawa stumbled in surprise. "How did you know?"

"Oh, I always did. You got injured in a game back in your first year, but you kept on playing without telling anyone. And then your injury got worse and it was impossible to completely heal, so you have to wear that brace." Suga answered. Oikawa raised his eyebrows, his cocky-self coming back. "You're more intelligent than you look."

"Oikawa. I'm the official setter of Karasuno, but in almost every game it's Kageyama who sets. I have never hated him for it. Why do you have to?" Suga shook his head. Oikawa let out his breath. "So what do you want me to do, Suga?"

"I want you to talk to Kageyama," Suga said. Oikawa's eyes widened. "Talk? To Tobio-chan? Sorry, no can do!"

He waved to his nephew. "Hey, we have to go!!"

He and Yamaguchi ran over. Oikawa grabbed his nephew's hand. "We need to get home."

Suga caught Oikawa's arm and forced him to look at him. "Please. If you change your mind... you know where we'll be."

Oikawa's eyes narrowed and he threw off Suga's hand, then walked away with his nephew. Yamaguchi glanced at Suga, who was gazing after Oikawa. "What did you ask him to do?"

Suga shook his head. "I hope you'll know soon."