twenty nine

steve strokes penny's hair as she lays on his lap sound asleep

steve strokes penny's hair as she lays on his lap sound asleep. it's been four hours since they've been in the elevator room and steve couldn't sleep.

erica and dustin lay on the ground asleep on the opposite side while robin and kim lay only a few feet from the couple.

kim groans unable to get a good position to sleep in. she hushes up when robin scrunches her face at the disturbance, but stays asleep.

she notices steve still awake, stroking penny's cheek as she lays asleep on his lap. "hi." she says quietly, grabbing his attention.

"oh, hi." steve still felt a little intimidated around her. he tried not to feel this way, but it was inevitable.

kim sighs, the room turning awkward as they look at each other. "i never got to thank you."

steve furrows his eyebrows at her. "for what?"

"for taking care of her." kim eyes penny in his lap, a tiny smile on the sleeping girl's face as she snuggles up to him. "she's so happy with you. happiest i've ever seen her actually."

steve doesn't know what to respond and doesn't think "you're welcome" is a good answer either. "i'm assuming you know about her piece of shit dad?"

kim eyes turn dark the mention of the man. She sits up, leaning against the wall. "of course i do. been waiting for the day i can get him behind bars for the shit he's done. but hopefully i can beat his ass before that happens."

steve chuckles, "i'll join you on that."

"i thought you couldn't win a fight?"

"ha-ha, very funny." kim smiles. "i am well equipped to win a fight."

"mhm, i bet you are." she raises her legs and rests her arms on her knees.

"but in all seriousness. it hurts seeing her with bruises or cuts from a beating, knowing i can't do anything about it when she's not with me." steve frowns. "she practically lives at my house now, just so she doesn't have to deal with it."

"i had her stay at my house too, back in california."

"did he know that, uh, you two were together?"

kim's eyes widen and she shakes her head. "no, god, no. he'd be livid. he only thought we were best friends. he hardly even approved of our friendship, can't imagine if he found out we were dating."

steve nods his head. he couldn't help but ask this question, "do you...do you still have feelings for her?" he cringed as he utters the words, not knowing how this conversation would turn.