a valentine's day special

february 14, 1985

february 14, 1985

penny's lips pull into a small smile as she side eyes her boyfriend, who was fixing his hair in the mirror next to her. she looks back at herself, continuing to apply her favorite red lipstick when he notices her staring.

"stop looking at me." steve says, running a hand through his hair. he wanted to look perfect for the day ahead of them.

"i'm not." she mutters, her grin growing larger. she finishes the last bit of lipstick on her plump lips, pops her mouth a few times and smiles wide to ensure there's no staining on her teeth. she nods in approval at her appearance then looks back over at steve who was still fiddling with his hair.

"you're still looking." he points out, leaning his hands on the counter.

"i am, and you look great. now will you tell me where you're taking me?" she asks the question she's been bugging him about since he brought up their valentine's day plans.

"no, stop asking me."

penny pouts at his answer. "you're being awfully rude to your girlfriend on valentine's day and her birthday."

"i want it to be a surprise."

"you know i don't take surprises well."

"i know, you always have to know what's going on."

"exactly."

"well, you don't get to today."

penny huffs, but eventually agrees to drop her persisting.

"i find it ironic, your birthday is on valentine's day. what did you usually do before you moved to hawkins?" steve asks, grabbing his farah fawcett spray from his cabinet.

penny giggles as he pops the brown lid from the can and sprays his hair, the smell wafting in the bathroom.

"i usually spent it with kimmy, but billy would always take me to this 24 hour diner by our house at the end of the day." penny smiles fondly at the memories. "before billy had a job, he would steal money from my dad's wallet, he was never the wiser. we would always order a large red velvet slice of cake and share it. it was a tradition my mom started, really."

"your mom?" steve questions, placing the lid back onto the spray can. that was something steve hardly heard from the girl. penny's mom was basically an anomaly to him, all he knew was that she was no longer apart of her life by choice. she never expressed any hatred or love for her mother, it's as if she simply had no thoughts on her. but steve wasn't stupid, he knew she felt hurt by her mother's actions, she was just very good at suppressing those feelings.