nine

penny tightens the scrunchy holding up half her hair as steve and dustin gear up for the hunt

penny tightens the scrunchy holding up half her hair as steve and dustin gear up for the hunt. the three of them had woken up early in the morning to visit the butcher shop and gather cow meat to lure in dart.

"to cover more ground, i think it's best if we split up." penny suggests, grabbing ahold of her bucket of meat with a yellow gloved hand.

"absolutely not." steve interjects.

"dustin and i already talked about this. we're not going to lure this thing with one trail, steve. we'll be fine in two groups. you two go that way," she points in one direction then in another. "and i'll go that way."

"no! no, what if something happens to you?" steve steps closer to her.

"i'll be fine, prince charming." she smirks at the nickname. "besides, dustin gave me an extra walkie so anytime you want to check up on me, you have access."

steve huffs out, thinking about all the horrible things that could go wrong with her being in the woods alone. "just —if you see anything,
run your ass off and contact me."

penny smiles reassuringly, "of course." steve holds his breath as she leans up on her tip toes and plants a kiss on his cheek, the red lipstick making an impressive mark on his cheek. "thanks for worrying about me. see you at the junkyard."

steve finally sucks in a breath as she pulls away.

and just like that, the ever so charming hargrove was off with her purple backpack on her back, leaving a trail of cow meat behind her.

dustin, who was watching the entire interaction, whistles. "prince charming, huh?"

steve turns to the middle schooler, "shut up. it's an inside joke." with that they took off in the opposite direction.

-

dustin and steve walk on the train tracks surrounded by the woods. the autumn leaves that decorated the ground crunched under the weight of their feet. every few seconds they would drop cubes of raw meat on the tracks.

"alright, so let me get this straight. you kept something in order to impress a girl who...who you just met?" this statement was hypocritical of steve, because although he never kept a demogorgon in his room for penny, he liked the girl, whether he knew it yet or not.

dustin retorts, "alright, that's grossly oversimplifying things."

"i mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?"