seven

after the shenanigans in the pool, they both went inside to dry off and change into their old clothes

penny sat on the kitchen counter with steve, drying out her damp hair with a towel. "so, mr. senior, are you moving out and going to college?"

the boy sighs, running a hand through his wet hair. "i've kinda given up on that."

"what do you mean? have you applied?"

"i tried, i really did, but i'm useless when it comes to writing entrance papers. i had written my essay, but nancy said i basically needed to start from scratch a day before the deadline, so i threw it away."

"it doesn't hurt to try, steve. you could've still sent it in."

"seems like a waste of time."

"your future isn't a waste of time." steve's eyes dart across penny's face. she had wiped off most of her makeup and was left bare face, a look he was growing to like. the mascara she usually wore made her blue eyes look electric, but now they seemed more soft.

"i don't even know what i want to do with my future, penny."

"i don't think any of us do." penny swings her legs back and forth, curling up her toes. "some of us might have dreams and goals, but they're never guaranteed. we have our whole lives in front of us which means anything can happen."

she nudges his shoulder with a smile, "besides, college isn't for everyone. you shouldn't force yourself into something you don't even want. just going to make your existence miserable."

"my parents would kill me."

"fuck parents! " penny yells and steve snorts, "what did your parents ever do to you?"

penny stays quiet, a sad, faint smile adorns her face. "well, what are you planning to do when you get out of high school?"

she shrugs, "i have no idea. maybe art school? i've always wanted to open an art gallery, but that requires money."

"would you paint me and put it in your gallery?" penny laughs out loud at his suggestion.

"oh, yeah, definitely. your face would be the main attraction."

"of course it would." steve smiles, jumping down from the counter, "i'm starving, lasagna?"

"sure." steve looks through the fridge and pulls out a glass pan with leftover lasagna. he sets out two plates, cutting two pieces of lasagna with a fork. 

"why are you using a fork to cut lasagna?"

"to save utensils, duh." he hands over her plate, "now go warm it up."