9 | Trying Something New

Start from the beginning

Hey, Griffin—how are you today? Shop staying busy, I hope?

Yeah. It'll only get worse now that Christmas shopping will start soon. How'd your Calc test go?

Okay, I think. I'm not sure I like math, though.

Maybe you should have thought about that before going into computer science.

She snorted. It had surprised her, at first, that Griffin could be quite witty and sarcastic over text, something she didn't always get to witness in person; as comfortable as they'd grown in one another's presence, there were still moments of awkwardness. Though, if she truly thought about it, that was her fault; she couldn't resist teasing sometimes, if only so she could get a glimpse of his embarrassed but adorable smile.

Maybe so. I've got to get to a study group, but I expect my coffee to be ready around two.

Then it will be ready. Straight black, right?

Ha. Ha. So funny. I think there's a different coffee shop down the road that will be more than happy to serve me if you don't.

So scary. No worries, Beverly. Your mocha will be ready when you get here.

Thanks, Griffin! Catch you in a bit.

See you.

Tucking her phone into her back pocket, she heaved her backpack onto her shoulders and marched to her programming abstractions study group, far less worried about being around Caleb now that she was in such a good mood.

Once she got her mocha and saw Griffin face-to-face, the day would be even better.

***

Griffin greeted her at the counter in the shop with that sheepish smile she adored, red ears, and her mocha steaming hot and accompanied by a scone. "For me?" She asked once the couple in front of her had collected their drinks and walked off, her stomach already grumbling.

Griffin must have heard it too, if his frown and question of, "Did you eat today, Beverly?" were any indication.

She paused for a moment, genuinely thinking about it, before shrugging and shaking her head to the negative. "Nope, guess not. Got distracted with study group, and I didn't want to go out with them after." As if she needed to be around Caleb any longer. The other members of the group were nice, and she didn't mind hanging out with them, but one look at Caleb had made her quickly decline their offer. The guy had spent at least ten minutes at the start of the session reminding her that she needed to improve her skills if she wanted a "seat at the table."

Jerk.

Griffin frowned. "I can send you with food. We always have leftovers from the day." he told her, all shyness melting away. She was glad he was growing more comfortable around her, even if it was only through texts or to offer food so she didn't die of what her mom fondly termed, "college student idiocy, honey."

She smiled at his thoughtfulness. "That's really sweet of you, Griff, and I'd be glad to take you up on the offer, so long as I'm not stealing these goodies from anyone else."

He shrugged, his eyes sliding away for a brief moment before he gathered the courage to return them to her eager gaze. "I bring home some, and sometimes throw away the rest. If we have a lot, I bring them to the fire station down the road."

What's that feeling? Oh, that's just my heart melting because he's sooooooo sweet.

Beverly blinked several times to ensure her heart eyes weren't showing too obviously. A quick glance over her shoulder showed her that no one was waiting in line behind her, and she took the moment to lean forward rather inconspicuously and declare, "You are one of the nicest humans I've ever met."