𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐢𝐯.━━━ war machine

Start from the beginning

"We don't have it! Now give us or friend back and we'll watch the sun rise together, yeah?" Kiara yelled scathingly, the vampire only smiled, his lips curling and fangs bared.  

"Oh but you do, pequeña golondrina." Kiara cocked her head to the side confused, she had taken Spanish lessons once and she was pretty sure he called her 'little swallow'. "The clock is ticking." The vampire grinned, "Tick-tock, people." With that he, his accomplice and Simon disappeared leaving the five of them with another problem. Clary cried out Simon's name repeatedly, distraught but of course Simon wasn't coming back, not until they did something about it.  

 The ride back was silent and uneventful, with Kiara taking the wheel. Izzy looked guilty despite Kiara's protests that Simon's kidnapping wasn't her fault. Clary didn't help by shooting looks of anger at Izzy, every now and then. Alec was solemn and distant, while Jace absentmindedly fixed his golden locks. Kiara on the other hand had more than Simon to worry about. Even after leaving the City of Bones behind, a dull throb remained in her head. Flashes of memories flicked in her mind but none stayed long enough for Kiara to decipher them.

 "I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes?" Clary antagonized. Walking through the main doors of the Institute, they stopped in the hallway as Clary turned to face the rest of them.

"Well look at them, Clary." Kiara gestured at Jace and Izzy and lifting Alec's sweater to prove her point.

"Abs like theses are God-given— correction. Angel-given"

 While the other two smirked, Alec patted down his sweater and glared at Kiara, barely disguising his blush.

"What Ki means..." Izzy said seriously, "is because we protect humans."

"And look good doing it." Jace added.

"You're right." Clary said, unfazed, her gaze on the Shadowhunters cold, "Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van." Izzy looked down at her heels, her expression unreadable. "

Great job, guys. You rock." Clary finished, sarcastically.

"Clary, you heard her and Izzy did do her job. Simon is gone anyhow and you pointing fingers isn't solving anything."

"You're on their side, now?"

"I'm on nobody's side, that was just a fact. Though I do remember me saying, if anything happens to Simon, I won't be on your side."

"Plus, there is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec speechified, crossing his arms. Kiara hissed in frustration. None of this was helping. Simon is being held hostage by vampires and all they did was argue while his life was o the line.

"Alec, not now." Izzy spoke sharply.

"What she said." Kiara chimed.

"Look." Jace said in attempt to make peace, "they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you and Kiara out. They want the Cup, and they think you two have it."

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone". 

"They don't know that, " Kiara shrugged. "To them your Jocelyn Fairchild's daughter. The very same Jocelyn who posses the Mortal Cup. If something goes sideways, who better to trust than her own daughter?" Kiara leant against the wall, when she did Kiara realized how tired she was.