9.

𝒴𝓊𝓀𝒾

When I blinked my eyes open to the morning rays of sunshine, I was surprised; for how long had it been since the little basement was full of so much light? Confused, I tuned away from the wall and looked up at the small window, where the black tape had been peeled away completely, leaving me in awe. I wondered if uncle Max had done it, or even Alex, but there was no way they'ed do something like that.

Sitting up, my arm giving sparks of pain, I couldn't help the wide toothy smile that stretched across my face as I stared for the first time in years at the outside world, no tape blocking my view. The trees swayed and leafs blew across the window, I could fill the chill of the air, could see the grays skies though the branches, the clouds moving to give glimpses of blue skies hidden above.

"It's so pretty." I say as I crawl to get closer, the chain dragging behind me and then pulled me to a sudden stop as it pulled tight from the wall it connected to, sighing I sat back on my heels, staring dreamily at the window that sat out of my reach. I wanted to feel the wind on my skin, wanted to feel the grass and dirt against my feet...and it was so close, right there.

"Squeak~"

I looked down at Jerry, a name that seemed to fit him, because calling him mouse felt to rude. He moved to sit by my side, I hadn't even noticed his absence until now. "Look.." I said pointing to the window. "someone took the tape off.." He bit my finger, ignoring the window and my words and I scowled my face in frustration, "Jerry you're such a bully, why'd you have to bite me?!" A squeak was his reply before biting me again more gently this time before running in circles then out of sight and behind me. I followed with my eyes, turning to find him sitting with his little head tilted with a silver key laying before his feet, when I didn't move, he nudged it with his nose.

"what's that...?" I mumbled, reaching forward and grabbing it up from the floor, examining it...a key? Why would he bring me a--

I looked from the key to Jerry...there was no way...

Heart pounding,and breath caught in my throat, I brought my knee up and grabbed at the rusted chain, the lock small in my hand, hesitantly I shoved the key in...and twisted....

Click.

I stared, mouth agape, releasing my held breath as I placed the key against the floor.

Slowly, so very slowly, I pulled at the metal with both hands and watched as it came apart around my leg, stared at the dark blue and purple bruise of a bare ankle.

In seconds I was up, standing and walking further then I'd ever been before. Further then the chain ever allowed. "Oh my god." I cried, burying my face into my hands. "Thank you so much J-Jerry!" I practically sobbed out, as my body was flooded with so many emotions that I'd never think I'd feel again.

Jerry, jumped on my tail and I scooped him up and held him safely in the cup of my hands, caked in dry blood and dirt while I smiled and kissed his little head. "Good thing I didn't eat you." He bit my thumb in reply making me chuckle weakly.

I looked up towards the window, then to the door, where I knew water and food laid beyond, making my stomach growl, my mouth felt to dry my lips cracked and dry, water sounded heavenly and I took a weak step forward, yet... "I cant get caught again.." With that thought in mind, I had quickly decided that the window was my safest bet, as I turned away from the door and scanned the dark room, I noticed a brick in the far corner. Stumbling over to it, I placed Jerry on my shoulder before I scooped it up, the weight heavy in my shaky hands. Breathing out, I turned back to the window and with all my strength I threw the brick, it meeting its mark and the window of black ripped tape shattered and I didn't hesitate to fly towards it, if anyone was home, I was positive they'd heard the noise.