"No, but I feel like it, Morgan forgot something and I had to rush it over to him before rushing back here and the traffic had backed up pretty bad so I was really worried that I'd be late."

"Ah, rush hour, the joys of after school and work hours."

"Yes, I should have taken that into account."

"Hey, the groom called and you had an important role as the best man to see to the duty, these things happen."

He smiled, an attractive sight that made his brown eyes light up and seemed to take years off his already youthful face.

"You were one of the bridesmaids, correct?"

I smiled back and nodded.

"Yes, I would have been maid-of-honour but I turned it down, she's my best friend but I couldn't afford the duties and didn't really have time, so I stepped back and took another role."

"Ah, maid-of-honour in spirit."

"Totally, not that I wasn't still involved with all the planning I could be, I still have best friend duties after all."

"Titles don't change the style of friendship."

I hummed in agreement and then here was a brief lull in the conversation, which seemed like the perfect opportunity to introduce myself formally to my temporary table buddy.

"It's nice to meet you," he replied, "I'm Spencer."

"As in the infamous Spencer Reid?" I laughed, finally glad to put a face to a name, "The genius with the eidetic memory who remembers everything."

"Not quite everything, only visually."

"Pfft, 'only' he says."

Spencer chuckled softly, his eyes dropping to the table as he worried his bottom lip between his teeth a little.

I picked up my glass and started running my finger around the rim of it, starting to contemplate on getting up and getting a drink.

Something fruity sounded good right about now.

"So, you've uh...heard of me?"

I looked to him as he broke the silence, giving him a light smile and a nod, which then turned into another laugh.

"Oh yeah, so much so that you'd figure she was marrying you and not Derek."

"Actually, that's the secret we're keeping from him, we've already eloped and have five kids and a mortgage."

"Ah, I see," I nodded, "extra funds?"

Spencer smiled widely and nodded, "Extra funds, kids are expensive."

I covered my mouth with my hand as I laughed, his eyes twinkling with happiness (or the lights and the decorations combined perfectly to give that affect).

He was absolutely adorable, I could see now why she had talked so much about him after a night out with Derek and the gang.

She'd mentioned repeatedly how well we would get on and she knew that one of my types was the lanky and kind of awkward nerds.

My suspicions were starting to rise.

Not that I had time to dwell on them.

The crackling of a mic soon silenced the audience in the room, a large squeal as the equipment adjusted making some, especially me, grit their teeth and tense up.

I had never been good with certain sounds, anything too high or bassy went straight through me and typically ended in a headache, so I silently prayed to a god I didn't believe in that I wasn't in for a night of terrible noises.

"Okay," started an announcer from the DJ's booth, "ladies, gentleman and all others in the crowd, it's almost time to bring in the food."

A small cheer erupted in the room, some going that little further with a whoop and some clapping before everyone settled down again.

The man on the mic laughed.

"Food always gets a warm welcome, but first, I'm sorry to say, you're going to have to sit through the first dance."

There was a louder cheer as the first chords to their chosen songs started to play, the lights dimmed just a little and the double doors opened for them to make their entrance, hand in hand and smiling so beautifully at one another.

They had barely made it to the dancefloor when my eyes started to well up and my throat constricted, I wasn't usually the overly sentimental type but seeing my best friend so happy had the same effect on me as animal rescue videos.

It was in that moment that I wished I had gotten up to get a drink earlier.

"Oh my," I mumbled, wiping my eyes as discretely as I could while taking a long breath in to open my throat and alleviate the ache.

My eyes flickered towards Spencer, wanting to be sure that he wasn't witnessing my embarrassing display.

Of course, luck wasn't on my side as we immediately made eye contact, to which I could only react with a shaky smile.

"Sorry, I'm gone already."

"You don't need to apologise, actually it'd be a little weirder if you didn't cry at your best friend's wedding, obviously not everyone will react the same way but many people find the combination of emotions, which can be negative and positive, to be too overwhelming and that power manifests itself as tears."

He finished his sentence with a brief nod and then quickly turned back to look at the dancing couple, his tongue running over his bottom lip.

Once the song reached its halfway point there was a pop over the speakers as the mic was turned back on.

"Okay folks, I think they're looking a little lonely, how about we get some more couples up here to feel the moment."

Various people around us got up and made their way to the dancefloor, some hand in hand and smiling lovingly while others simply looked a little buzzed from the alcohol already coursing through them.

Spencer looked up at me as I also stood and adjusted my top, running my hands over it to flatten it out as I turned to him.

"I'm going to grab a drink, would you like something?"

"Oh, yes please."

"Great, what would you like?"

"Nothing alcoholic, unfortunately I'm driving home tonight."

"Sprite it is."

I gave him a thumbs up and then wandered off, shuffling around the tables and being mindful to not bump into anything.

So far, the day had taken a pretty interesting turn.