Chapter 23

Swiftpaw's POV

I let out a hiss of frustration as I was abruptly pulled from my sleep. I was being shaken so violently that I was sure that I was going to lose a limb.

But as I began to blink open my eyes, I realized that maybe it was already sunhigh, and I was being woken up for my warrior ceremony.

Immediately being able to shove my annoyance to the side, I fully opened my eyes and lifted up my head eagerly. I was confused to see that it was nearly pitch-black in the den, many urgent meows were coming from outside, and Cherrypaw was hovering over me, her amber eyes wide.

I scoffed with irritation as I stood up in my nest. "Cherrypaw," I meowed sharply to the she-cat who was going to be my denmate for just a single night. "What is going on? Why did you wake me like that?"

Cherrypaw shifted her paws back and forth, her gaze falling to the ground as I had looked at her. "I'm sorry... I was just trying to-" the she-cat then cut herself off, shaking her head quickly. I then nearly took a step back as her eyes flashed with alarm.

"Lilypetal's and Thornclaw's kits are missing!" she exclaimed, then turning around to leave the den. "We have to help look for them. Come on!"

What?! I thought as I stood frozen in place, a wave of fear and worry running through me. Oh, no... they could be anywhere!

I then couldn't help but recall the time that I myself had escaped the camp as a kit. I had nearly been mauled by a fox! I thought nervously. There's not a fox loose that we know of, but it's in the middle of leaf-bare!

"Swiftpaw?" Snowpaw meowed groggily from behind me, and I turned to see her blinking her eyes as she slowly stood up, Molepaw doing the same in his nest. "What's happening?"

I slowly turned around to face my fellow apprentices. "Lilypetal's kits are missing," I meowed, trying to keep my voice from shaking.

Snowpaw's blue eyes immediately widened, and she shot up out of her nest and nudged Molepaw. She then looked back at me, her gaze suddenly confused. "Then what are you standing there for?" she demanded to me as she and Molepaw began to leave the den. "These cats will need all the help they can get to find them!"

Yanking myself out of my own shock and fret, I shook my head quickly and then proceeded to follow Snowpaw and Molepaw out of the apprentices den, ready to find out exactly what was going on and if any progressions were being made to find the three kits.

To my disappointment, the many cats that were stirring in camp didn't seem to be moving as urgently as they could be, as if they had already looked in every place possible and were beginning to give up hope.

But it also looked like a good chunk of cats were missing. Hopefully a search patrol?

Snowpaw, who was now leading our little group of apprentices, gasped and turned around to face the rest of us as she nodded towards the Highledge. "There's Firestar!" she exclaimed, lashing her tail towards the ginger ThunderClan leader. "Let's ask him if we can do anything!"

Cherrypaw nodded eagerly in agreement. "Perfect! Let's go!"

Just as I was about to mumble agreement and follow Molepaw, Cherrypaw and Snowpaw, I hissed, batting at my own ear as I felt the all-too familiar nick make its lovely appearance, giving me my usual reality check.

Holy foxdung, what are you thinking? I asked myself, hissing with contempt. I stopped in my tracks and instantly sat down, annoyed by how flighty I had been since I'd woken up. How soft would I look showing so much care towards some kits who probably just wandered off into the forest?