Chapter 5

Lilypetal's POV

Goodness gracious... I thought irritably as I adjusted myself in my nest once again. I truly don't think sleeping has ever felt this impossible.

I had only just gone into the warriors den to try and take a nap, but it felt as if I had been lying in my nest trying to sleep for days and days already. I'd been feeling quite achy and stiff since I had woken up just after dawn, so I had thought that I would try and rest up before I went on patrol.

But what was unfortunate was that fact that my brain was as wide awake as it could be - ready to take on the day, swim in the lake, pelt across the forest, whatever, but my physical condition was not matching up. I want action, but my body doesn't. Ugh, that's frustrating, I thought as stretched out.

I then let out a huff as I decided to stand up. I hated how pessimistic I was being. Maybe you just need to loosen up a little bit! I told myself, padding out of the den with a bit of pep in my step.

I then sighed as I looked down at my belly, my heart practically growing with love. Soon, you will really have to rest up for these precious little ones, so take advantage of your time! Anyways, you're going to the Gathering tonight too. You might as well start warming up for that!

My optimistic self-encouragement actually working, I let out a satisfied sigh and began to pad through the camp, ready to fulfill any duties that I was needed for.

The first thing that caught my eye was actually Mistpelt who had just nodded a greeting to Firestar as she traveled across the camp. She had a huge clump of moss in her mouth.

I tilted my head and flicked my ears, wondering what my mother was doing. But, as she lashed her tail and approached what I knew to be the elders den, it all became clear. She's finally making her nest in the elders den... I thought sadly. Wow, that's so weird.

The fact that my mother was retiring felt almost as if a piece of my heart had disappeared. Yes, Mistpelt was still alive and well, but things wouldn't be the same. It was likely that we'd never patrol together again, or get to go on our mother-daughter hunting trips. But it will be alright! I tried to tell myself. If anything, Mistpelt being confined to the camp is better, especially since I'll also be in camp more often with kits soon!

I was about to follow the fluffy gray and white she-cat when my attention was suddenly brought to the Highledge. Sandstorm and Foxleap were standing near the fresh-kill pile, scanning their heads around camp as if they were looking for someone.

Foxleap's gaze actually stopped when it fell on me, his ears flicking simultaneously. "Hey, Lilypetal!" he called out to me. "We're going on a hunting patrol. Want to join us?"

Just as I was about to give the dark ginger warrior an eager nod, I watched as Sandstorm shot him an angry look. "Are you mouse-brained?" the pale ginger she-cat hissed. "She's expecting kits, and you invite her on patrol?"

Foxleap's eyes widened as he backed up just a pawstep. "I was only asking!" the young warrior insisted. "What did you want me to do? Yell at her that she can't-"

"Hey, it's alright!" I insisted, padding up closer to the two bickering cats as I purred with amusement. I touched my tail tip to Sandstorm's shoulder as I meowed. "I appreciate the concern, but honestly, I would love to come."

I then continued to purr as I flicked Foxleap's ear with my tail. "I also appreciate you asking," I reassured him. "Just don't do it while I'm... you know, giving birth."

"Will do," Foxleap purred back before peering past me, letting out a sigh of relief. "There's Swiftpaw. Finally!"

I followed Foxleap's gaze to see that the gray-black apprentice was emerging from the dirtplace tunnel. I was suddenly curious as I noticed the irritated gleam in his eye, and his fur was bristling slightly.