____

         Days later, Mary was walking through the gardens at Westminster with her ladies. She sighed, however, when she saw Kathy standing in her path. "He can't make me," She complained in an annoyed tone.

"Everything you have is at Henry's pleasure, Mary," She replied in a calm tone as she began to walk with her sister, "You are not like me. You do not have a dukedom in your own right to give you power in England without marriage. Henry will marry you off. If you don't choose King Louis, he will make sure you pay. He will not bend so you must. We must do his bidding in any way we can."

"Our whole lives, we have been taught to despise the French, Kathy," She admitted and Kathy nodded in agreement, "I know their duplicity and cruelty."

"I understand that. But you must do this,"  She insisted as she let out a large sigh.

"If there is another war, we will be enemies, Kathy," Mary complained, a sad look on her face, "Isn't it enough that our sister Meg has been made our enemy?"

"What if you were to have your own choice next time, Mary?" Kathy suddenly asked her sister, "What if the king agreed that if Louis were to die, then you could choose your nest husband for yourself?"

"That still means I must wed him," Mary argued back in an annoyed tone, "It isn't fair. While the rest of us are being married off, you may stay here and do as you wish! All because Henry favors you. You stand here, trying to convince me to marry him as though you know what it's like to be married off. You don't, though. And you never will."

Mary scoffed and walked away, causing Kathy to sigh in defeat. She quickly wiped her tears before walking away.

_____

     In his chambers, Henry was sword fighting with Charlie when the two young men turned to watch as Kathy walked in. "Dearest brother, I bring some great news," She informed him and Henry turned, his eyes lighting up, "Mary will not marry King Louis."

"How is that good news?" He snapped at her coldly, watching as Kathy's lips curled upwards, "I know that look. What are you up to?"

"I saw the letter King Louis wrote to you. He wished to marry me but because you refused, he settled for the next best match. Mary. So why don't we give him what he wants? Why not allow him to marry me?" She suggested, causing both Charlie and Henry to stare at her in shock.

Charlie turned to her, a concerned look on his face. He clearly wondered what was going on in that mind of hers.

"You're not serious," Henry complained and Kathy nodded.

"I am being entirely serious, brother," She informed him as she walked closer to her, "Send a message to King Louis. Make this proposal. He'll surely agree. My dowry is twice that of Mary's. For I come with the Duchy of Bedford. One of the most powerful Dukedoms in England."

"You never had an interest in marriage before. Why now? Why would you want to be the Queen to an old and fat French king?" Henry asked her suspiciously.

"Did you not just answer your own question, dear brother?" Kathy replied, smiling as she walked closer to Henry, "He is old and fat. He won't live long. Then I may return. It isn't fair that Mary must marry him. Not when I should have been married off long ago. It is expected of me to do my duty and I shall do just that."

"What do you want in return?" Henry suddenly asked, earning a curious look from Kathy, "I know you. You wouldn't do this unless you want something."

"I will do this under one condition," She admitted and Henry scoffed, "Should Louis die and I am widowed, I would like to have the liberty to choose my next husband for myself."