Chapter 5

Kenzi went to school the next day. I heard Ella ask her dad about Eve but he just told her not to worry. I feel so sorry for them. It must be hard losing their child so young. I think about how I killed people's children. Although they were teenagers they were still people's children. 15 of them. Violet made me realise what I had done. I now know that it was wrong. I just hope that Kenzi doesn't find out.

After Kenzi got home I knocked on their door again. Mary answered. "Are you Kenzi's friend? She is in her room, just go up." I nodded and went inside. "Do you want anything to eat or drink?" Without an answer she was already pouring diet coke into glasses and putting biscuits onto a plate. "Here you are. Can you tell Kenzi that dinner will be in an hour." I carried the tray up the stairs but Kenzi wasn't in her room. I put the tray on the bed and I heard whimpering. It was coming from the bathroom.

I pushed the bathroom door. It was unlocked. I saw Kenzi cutting herself with a razor blade. I saw scars up her arm. "Kenzi?'" I said. I need to try and stop her somehow. Violet cut herself and she ended up killing herself. It wasn't by the cutting, she had overdosed but I sometimes think that if I had stopped her cutting herself then she might not have died.

Kenzi looked at me shocked. She sank down to her knees crying. "Please Tate don't tell my mum. Don't tell her." I went over to her and hugged her. She put her head on my shoulder. "I won't Kenzi. But you need to stop. I will help. Just please, stop."

We went into Kenzi's room after I had calmed her down and her arm had stopped bleeding. "I had another little sister once," she said to me. "Her name was Eve. She was Ella's twin and they were inseparable. About 6 months ago Eve got sick so she didn't go to school but Ella did. I skipped a lot of school then. My mum and dad were working so I took Eve to the park. It was quite early. On the way back we bumped into one of my friends. I was talking to her when Eve wandered off. I didn't notice when she was on the road picking up a leaf. She had this obsession with finding leaves and making a picture out of them. But then a car came along. The driver had been drinking. All I heard was her s-scream my name. The driver drove off. They never caught the guy. It was too much for us staying in the same house so we moved to here." She was crying by the time she had finished. I didn't know what to say. "It was all my fault. If I had just kept an eye on her none of this would have happened. I would still have two sisters."