Chapter 4

"I'm sorry, sir. I told you she took a leave of absence last week. She isn't expected to return to work until after 21 working days." Lorena's secretary said.

"She never goes on leave. She's never called in sick. Surely there's a mistake." Federico begged.

"Not at all, sir. She's been due for a vacation for years. I'm afraid I can't help you, sir. I don't know where she is either." The woman said.

She looked so uncomfortable that Federico had to force himself to leave even though he hadn't gotten what he wanted. He had no idea where Lorena was.

Once he got into his car, he dialed his wife's number.

'The number you're trying to dial is not reachable at the moment. Please try again later. Thank you. '

He listened to the call get disconnected. He dialled her number ten more times, hoping he'd finally be able to reach her. Ever since she left him, his life became an endless cycle of misery.

He kept missing work so he could drive past all the places he used to go with Lorena, praying he'd find her. He stopped calling her and dialled another number.

"Hello." A woman picked the phone immediately.

"Hello? It's me." Federico said.

He heard the woman sigh deeply.

"I'm sorry. Lorena hasn't contacted me. I'm her friend, not her keeper." She hung up.

All Lorena's friends had responded the same way: cold and harsh. When he tried calling the woman back, he realized she'd blocked him.

All his wife's friends had blocked him. What on earth would he do?

He placed his head on his steering wheel and wept like a child.
No one would ever be able to understand his pain.

Would she ever forgive him?

Would she ever love him again?

He had never lied to her before. He'd always been an open book.

Why had he invited Mimi over?

What if Lorena never came back?

Why didn't he just confess?

Instead, he'd waited for her to find out.

There was no way she wouldn't have. She was too smart and too calculating to not see the signs.

What was he going to do?

How was he going to beg her?

He wiped his tears and decided to drive home. He'd drink his sorrows away and smell her clothes and shoes then try reaching out to her again tomorrow.

As he approached their home, he noticed there was another car in the driveway. Not just any car.

Lorena's car.

He didn't realize he'd stopped driving until the man behind him blared his car horn angrily. He slowly eased his car beside his wife's.

He felt a pang of relief. She had finally returned! He was rushing out of his car when two questions flashed through his mind.

What if she had returned to pack her stuff?

What if she had returned to serve him divorce papers?

He swallowed his tears. He wouldn't give up without a fight. He couldn't let her leave without trying to win her back. He'd beg and confess his deeds. He wouldn't hide anything from her ever again.