part 19

Sana tiptoes into the cold kitchen, her Santa socks softening the sound of her footsteps on the tile floor. She lets out a sigh as she stands at the sink, looking out the window into her enormous backyard. The daybreak light making the snow covered forest barely visible. It was times like these, when she was not wrapped in a blanket- or better yet, the embrace of her significant other, that she regretted moving out to the middle of nowhere.

"Come on, you'll love it!" She smiles as she recalls the moment. They were only twenty-two, straight out of college when they decided to simply not return to Philadelphia.

The moment they walked into the house Sana was sure of two things: One, it was all they ever dreamt of, and two, she was head over heels, gut-wrenchingly, in love with the dark haired girl grinning next to her.

And she did- love it.

Especially in winter. At dawn, when the fresh snow glistens, and there are no footsteps to interrupt it's beauty. During the first snowfall, when they run outside. Jumping around and catching snowflakes on their tongues like they did their first winter together.

Putting on her boots, a jacket, and some gloves, Sana steps out into the now-lit morning. She didn't like being alone, but it was quite peaceful. She almost hated ruining the smooth surface with her footprints, but her destination was far more important. Besides, there would most likely be a new layer by evening.

Half a mile later, she reaches a small, frozen lake. Where she doesn't set a foot on it, only sits and admires. This is what she did most mornings. Watch, listen, think. For a long while. Until she was satisfied enough with herself to return, usually an hour later.

"Do you remember the first time we went ice skating?" A raspy voice asks, causing Sana to jump. She turns her head to find Tzuyu leaning against a tree, a cigarette in one hand and a smirk plastered on her face. The girl learned to appreciate winter, but still wore a bundle of clothing. "I do." Sana laughs, taking Tzuyu's hand and standing on her feet. "Remember when you fell?" She snorts, and Tzuyu pulls Sana into her arms, placing a hand over her mouth. "You said we'd never speak of that." She reminds. "You brought it up." Is what Sana attempts to say, but Tzuyu's hand makes the words sound muffled, and not at all like she intended. "U Bwah it ohp," instead.

Tzuyu rolls her eyes, leading Sana out of the woods, her hand still covering the others mouth.

Sana has only one solution: Licking her girlfriend's palm and racing her back home, locking the door before the annoyed girl can get in. "Sanaaaaaaaa!" Tzuyu whines. "It's freezing outside." She pouts, and Sana instantly gives in, opening the only shield between her, and a world of glaring.

"You don't know me very well, do you?" Tzuyu asks, stomping on the mat to rid herself of the snow on her boots. Sana frowns. "I'd say I know you pretty damn well." She answers proudly, lifting herself onto the kitchen counter. "Then," Tzuyu smirks, entwining their hands and squeezing herself in between Sana's legs. "You should know that I don't hate the cold anymore." Sana rolls her eyes as she leans in for a kiss...

...

Brown orbs shoot open and a groggy Sana sits up, leaning against her bed frame. She reaches for her phone, but her still unfocused eyes make it difficult to see the time. She squints until she is finally able to make out the numbers, along with an unexpected text message.

Tzuyu Chou 8:51 am: Hey you awake

That was only an hour ago.

They've hardly crossed paths in last month and the girl just texts her out of the blue. Who the hell did she think she was?