Waiting Game

" Do you think he wants his laptop for school," Joe spoke from his younger brother's room. He turned to his dad who was standing in the hallway he had a small suitcase out.

" I don't feel the need to make Nick do any school when he in the hospital. But bring him is I pod I'm sure he would love to listen to his music it helps stay calm " Walking into the room his eye lingered on the window a bird was perched on the roof and was sing a sweet song.

Joe followed his father's eye he let out a sad sigh. " Do think there right about their diagnosis." Throwing pair of socks into the suitcase.

" I don't know much about Diabetes Joe. I'm sorry I can't be much help with this." Sitting on the bed next to the small suitcase. Looking inside to see what Joe pack for Nick. " really you put Harry, Potter, in here." Flipping through the book.

" of course." Joe smirk " It the best book series." Joe had been trying to get Nick to read the series forever. But nick was not much into reading. But if you had scripted or song lyrics he analyzes that shit front to back knowing it by the end of the day.

" He not going to read it you know that." Setting it back in the suitcase. Slowly getting up from the bed clapping his son on the back.
His son turns around and wraps his arm around him. The poor kid starts to cry again. " hey... it's ok he going to be ok." Pulling the teen close rocking him back and forth as he began to speak soft private pray.

" Hey, Joe do you want....." Kev stopped as he saw the interaction happening in Nick's room. It broke his heart to see his brother so distraught. He slowly closed the door to give them some privacy.

" We are going to the hospital." A tiny voice spoke from behind him. He turned to see the youngest member of the Jonas family stand in the hallway holding a stuffed animal.
Kevin slowly kneeled to speak to the 5-year-old " Yes Frankie we want to see Nick." They had told the boy that Nick was sick and need to go to the hospital. That was all they could explain to him at the moment.

" Do think I can bring him a stuffed animal?" Slowly walking over and sitting on Kevin's lap. Snuggling close to him.

" I think that's a great idea maybe we can buy stuff animal at the gift shop." Hugging him tightly slowly picking the kid up in his arms. He could hear the soft giggle that came out of the boy's mouth. It made his heart a little lighter least for now. " Come on let's make dad and Joe some lunch." Slowly walking down to the kitchen.

" Can we have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches,?" Frankie spoke in Kevin's ear.

" I think that great idea." He quickly spoke back. Walking into the kitchen placing the kid on the counter. So he could help. " So what do we need to make this lunch?" Putting his hand on his hip looking around the small kitchen.

" We need peanut butter and jam." Frankie spoke like it was common sense giving a cheek smile. " oh we need bread." hugging his stuff animal.

" Right...." Kevin smiled grabbing the plate above Frankie's head. " you want to get the jam and peanut butter from the fridge.

" yeah." He slips off the counter running to the fridge opening it up scanning the shelves.

" Frankie check on the door ok." Trying to give him a little tip here and there as he grabs the knife from a drawer to speared when it was time.
Frankie grabs the jam setting it on the counter next to Kevin. " Thanks, bud can u reach the peanut butter or its too high for u." Looking down at the smiling boy.

" No Kev I got it." Running back grabbing the peanut butter his eye looking up at the butter that was way up top. He tried to reach but he was just too short. He saw a hand reach up and grab it passing it to him.

" Teamwork." Kevin closing the lid keeping the other butter from falling out. Not know that butter was going to have to be moved.
Nicks insulin was going to be put there. His lifeblood liquid gold sometimes people call it. The small vials that would have to keep him alive for the rest of his life. Kevin closed the fridge without a second thought. " can grab the bread." Pointing to the bread on the far end of the counter that was in the bread box.

" Yes." Frankie ran to grab a bag that housed the bread setting it next to his brother. Standing on his tiptoes to watch his brother. Prepare the family lunch. Kevin handed back the items when he was done watching his little brother look very proud as he putting everything back without help. Well, except the butter.

" Did u guys make lunch?" Joe walked into the kitchen with his dad not far behind.

" Yes, we did." Frankie ran into Joe's arms giggling when he felt his feet lift off the ground as he got spun around a couple of times.

" Well thank you Kevin and Frankie that was super nice of you." Their father spoke up grabbing a plate from Kevin's hand sitting down at the small kitchen table.

" It was no problem." Kevin shrugged his shoulder placing Joe plate on the table as he was busy getting Frankie into his booster seat for lunch.
" So what time will we go to the hospital." Kevin broke into the tough conversation. Taking a bite into his lunch.

Joe gave his father a sad glance taking a sip of water. He was not feeling super hungry. He had a pretty bad knot in his stomach. He wasn't sure if he was going to be able to eat. Looking down at his lunch.

" I'm waiting for your mom to text back. They said they were in the back and they had taken blood to run some test." Their father spoke calmly

Joe could feel his hand getting sweaty the thought of his brother getting a needle and getting blood draw was making his head feel woozy.

" Joe, you feeling ok?" Kevin grabbed his brother's right arm bring him out of the dizzy spin he was in.

" Yeah...I'm fine just all the medical talk making me feel gross." He could see all eyes were on him. He didn't want to be the center of attention. His eyes look back up at his plate the sandwich was still whole. Slowly picking it up and take a small bite.

" Joe we are not making you go if you don't want to. Keven Sr looks up at his son with concern he didn't want to sick son right now.

" No all be fine." Joe wipes his mouth with a napkin. " I want to be there for Nick he would be there for me." Trying to make a good argument for himself. Both his brother and father look at each other not convinced.
" So we just have to wait for mom to call back." Trying to shift the conversation back onto his brother and mom. " Do you know how long that be?" Taking another bite of his lunch.

" No." His father spoke slowly " We pack all things we think they will need." Sitting back in his chair looking at his watch. " I just don't know how long they will stay in the hospital."

Kevin spoke up " That's fine Joe and I can clean up and you can get some work done before we have to leave." Joe nodded taking his half-eaten sandwich to the sink so he could clean up.

" Thank you, boys." Their father spoke unhooking Frankie from his booster seat to allow the kid to go play. Bring his plate and Frankies to the counter kissing his son on the head before leaving the room.

" You think everything ok with Nick," Joe whispered putting his hand in his pockets.

" I think he in safe hands." Kevin knew that wasn't the best explanation for his brother's question but right now it was just a waiting game.