Part 14

I hunch down in the branches. The strange woman still beside me. My husband seems to be doing something. He is carrying a shovel.

I see him motion to two of his servants and watch as they run back inside the home. I wonder what is going on.

Sooner rather than later I receive my answer; they come back carrying a large white sheet. It has been placed over something. 

I turn to the strange woman in the tree with me and she motions for me to continue watching. 

This is when I turn back towards my husband. 

A wife should never question anything but I have a feeling what is going on has been tied to why I feel there to be something wrong with this home.

I watch as the two servants dump unceremoniously the thing with which they were carrying. It seems to be a body. The body of someone I think I know.

I watch with horror as my husband begins to dig a shallow grave. Then I see the female servant from before come walking out of practically nowhere. She waltzes right up to my husband. They look to be very close indeed. I am not sure that I wish to witness this. Yet it does not seem I have a choice.

I continue to watch. After the grave is dug, he pulls down the white sheet to reveal the person laying underneath, and it is my servant. It is my friend. The one who raised me. The one who stood up for me throughout the years. 

They have murdered Brooklyn.

Before I can even think to stop myself a wail of pure agony escapes my lips. I see them turn in my direction. 

'You had better run miss. They will be after you next.' 

How can this be? I can hear the voice of my beloved servant Brooklyn inside of my head. 

Turning ever so slowly I see her standing at the base of the tree looking up. She is not dead. Yet her body lays not to far off from me.

Who did I marry?