Part 9

We round the final bend in the road and come upon a wide paved path in between two dense sides of forest. This must de the drive to the house where I will remain for the rest of my days.

Glancing at my servant I see a look of worry across her otherwise indifferent features. She is usually so well put together. I have never seen her like this is all of my nineteen years of being alive. She is much older than I am. She has seen many things that I wish I could see. Yet, she has never spoken of them. Sometimes like now I wonder why. I wonder what happened to her that made her fall silent on the past.

I move to look out the window as we approach a large prestige house. It screams of importance and also of old family ties. I notice that it has been painted a dark grey color and can not help wondering why. 

After a short time we come to a halt in front of the steps leading to the main door. I sit back and wait for my husband to open the carriage door for us. I hear him step off from behind the horses and walk toward the door. Then I hear an unknown male, "It is a pleasure to see that you have returned sir. I take it your wife is inside of the carriage? Why is there nobody to do this work for you? What happened?" I can not hear my husband's response but it is obvious from the reaction of a gasp that he has explained what has happened.

The door to the carriage is opened and my husband slips into the carriage next to me. He smiles at me and leans over for a kiss. I willingly oblige. "Welcome home my love." He smiles at me and I smile back. This must be where I shall stay for  the rest of my life. 

Except for some reason I can not seem to get the image of that woman out of my mind. Why did she look exactly like me?