Prologue

Alex's POV:
Hi, I'm Alex Fang and I don't know who I really am, I only know my first name. I gave myself the last name Fang since I can't remember my parents or who I really am. I have amnesia, at least that's what the doctor said when I woke up in a hospital bed a week ago. He said that I'm ten years old and that he will try to find out who my parents were. However, I didn't know if I could trust him for some reason, so I ran away from the hospital and I've been living on the streets for a week.

I learned a few things while I was on the streets, I had to steal to survive. I know in my heart it was wrong, but I didn't have a choice but to do so. I sleep wherever I can find a place to sleep and use newspaper as blankets to stay warm. I still had clothes on which was nice to know but it got hard to stay warm when it rained and when it got cold.

 I was sitting in a cardboard box when an old man saw me and noticed how young I was, "Kid, why are you out here all alone? Where are your parents?" he asked, "I don't know. I can't remember." I said as I was a bit scarred since a few guys beat me up a week ago and I was still in pain.

"How old are you son?" he asked, "Ten, I think." I said as the old man saw that I was scared and he stayed at a good distance, "A ten year old boy shouldn't be out here all by himself. Why don't you come to my place so you can warm up. I'll see if my granddaughter can make you something to eat." He said, I was hesitant at first when he offered me that. "How do I know I can trust you?" I asked, "I'm a veteran of the war of Iraq. I was honorably discharged and won the silver medal of honor along with the purple heart. You can trust me kid." He said as I saw the kindness in his eyes.

I nodded as I tried to get out of the box but groaned when I felt a pain in my arm, "You alright?" the old man asked, "My arm hurts so much." I said. He came closer and I was hesitant, but I showed him my arm where he saw that it was bruised and that I was shaking. "You have frostbite. Let's get you warmed up kid." He said as he wrapped me in his extra coat and picked me up. "What's your name?" he asked, "I'm Alex Fang." I said, "Fang?" he asked, "I gave myself that last name because I can't remember my real last name or if I have a family." I said.

He nodded and told me that his name was Dominic, and he took me to his apartment where his nineteen year old granddaughter was making something that smelled delicious. "Grandpa, whose this?" she asked, "Veronica this is Alex, he's a homeless young man who has doesn't remember who his parents are." Dominic said and Veronica looked at me with a sympathetic look. "Come on Alex, let's get you warmed up with a nice warm bath." Dominic said as he took me to the bathroom and brought me a change of clothes that belonged this his deceased grandson who was killed in a drive by shooting.

"These belonged to my grandson. He was killed a few weeks ago during a drive by shooting at POP's barber shop." Dominic said as he placed them on the counter and helped me out of my dirty ripped clothes and he saw a few scars on me that I have no clue on how I got. I sat in the tub and felt the warmth of the water against my skin. "Feels nice right?" Dominic asked, "Yeah, thank you for helping me." I said. 

"Think nothing of it. I couldn't let a young man like you live out there by yourself. I promised myself that I would help anyone I can even after I was honorably discharged from the military. After I lost my grandson, I made a vow to help anyone I can." Dominic said as he looked at my arm with frostbite and noticed that it was better than it was before.

"You recover fast son." Dominic said as he helped me clean up and I smelled the food in the kitchen, "Something smells good." I said. Dominic smiled, "My granddaughter is a great cook. She's been taking classes after school and has a part time job at the homeless shelter down the street." Dominic said as I smiled back at him and couldn't help but feel like I knew someone who could cook amazing foods as well.