Chapter 131 [The End of the Battle]

Start from the beginning

While riches were easy to acquire, it was not so for the hearts of people!

"They wouldn't starve to death by missing a meal since we will arrive in the capital city tonight. Do you want to join the people outside?"

The Crown Prince furrowed his brows as he spoke those words in displeasure.

Lord Zhang shut his mouth immediately, while at the same time, a feeling of bitterness rose in his heart.

He had initially thought that he had made a good move by marrying his daughter to the Crown Prince.

However, it seemed too early for him to jump to such conclusions.

"Here are some snacks. If you don't mind, please come over and eat some."

At this moment when the people outside were starting to feel the dissatisfaction towards the Crown Prince, a gentle voice echoed through the air into the people's ears.

Lin Mengya together with her four maidservants were carrying some food and water and distributing them to the corners of the courtyard.

"Don't snatch, there is enough supply for everyone. The maids from the other families may want to follow us to go and prepare some food for everyone."

Just when Baiji finished speaking, immediately some quick-witted lasses in different styled dresses came closer and gathered around her.

Soon, she finished distributing the food items, while there were still some sweet cold drinks left for them.

Lin Mengya stood quietly behind the maids. Her expression was neither smug nor impatient. She simply looked at the people collecting the food item with a calm expression.

"There really is more food, let's all go!"

The fire in the kitchen stove was still burning, so very soon, the maids were able to get ready some simple dishes.

The first batch of maids who followed Lin Mengya's maid to the kitchen were happily carrying the food they cooked back to their families.

When all the people learned that they could really prepare meals to eat, they became restless and there was a stir in the courtyard as the situation became more chaotic and out of control.

"Stop all the pushing and shoving. You've to queue up for this. Although the kitchen is relatively big, it could only accommodate up to five families cooking at any one time. Don't worry if you're not in the queue yet, because those families in front can prepare more food to share, and anyway, everyone would get a turn soon."

There may not be delicacies in the temporary imperial residence, it did have sufficient supply of the basics, such as rice, noodles and necessary condiments.

Moreover, staying a few days in the temporary imperial residence was part of the Crown Prince's plan in this hunting trip.

For this reason, the guards at the residence had prepared large amounts of fresh vegetables and fruits.

Zhu Aizhi, who had received a huge favor from Lin Mengya, also instructed his servants to go down to the kitchen to help. After busying themselves for about two hours, the majority of people had access to hot meals.

"There are only a few families left who had not gone into the kitchen to prepare food. However, those who had started preparing food first had cooked extra and shared their cooking with the others."

Of the four maidservants, Baiji had the hardest time.

In the beginning, when Lin Mengya suggested distributing food to the people, Baiji, together with Baishao, had first gone into the kitchen and steamed a large pot of rice.