IX - Reborn

She glided effortlessly through the slippery, red floor; not making even the tiniest sound in her barefoot movement. Corpses of men and women surrounded her as she danced her way towards the last of her target.

She was graceful in her movements. Despite that, the sword in her hand was covered in red, sticky liquid—her body and clothes were clear of blood except for her feet. If one were to see her in the middle of the dead bodies, they would never think she was the one who took their lives for she looked like an angel. She was wearing a soft, white dress that barely touched her knees. Its skirt danced together with her movements. Her silken, silver hair danced behind her; cascading softly at her back- making a trail of silver behind her. Her eyes—her eyes were an innocent blue; big and round like a child's.

Just like the one's staring at her as she made her way across the remains of his family. They all protected him. And as a result, none of them were still breathing. It was his curse; he knew that. Despite the fact that his family kept telling him that he was not, he knew in himself that he was an abomination. A creature that was only alive to bring pain and suffering to the poor souls who had the misfortune of knowing him

He watched; afraid and grieving as the woman stopped in front of him. And just like that—time seemed to have stopped as her hair stilled and her dress ceased to dance. The woman raised her sword and he closed his eyes to welcome his inevitable death. But- the cold metal had not touched his skin no matter how long he had waited. His innocent curiosity made him open his eyes and his shock had pushed his fear aside.

The woman had sheathed her sword and was currently knelt in front of him. Her head bowed low and her right arm rested across her right knee; as if a knight knelt in front of a king. She slowly raised her head and turned to stare at the big, round eyes of the child in front of her. They were reflecting his grief for the family he knew of.

"My, my," the woman said in a singsongy voice that could put any singers to shame. "Our little prince has been brought up as weak as a human,"

"But I am human," he found himself meekly protested.

The woman gave him a smile that could freeze even the fires of hell. "Do you honestly believe that, my little prince? I knew they raised you as weak as them but still—I had hoped you would be more intelligent than them. It shames me to think I serve you when you so obtusely believed the lies those filthy humans spew,"

She could see the denial in his eyes. She could see that he wanted to believe the words of the humans he knew were lies. His eyes clearly reflected his want to believe he was nothing but a frail, normal human.

She stood up; the end of her white dress was now blood-red from the moment she knelt. She extended a hand towards the child in front of her. "Take my hand if you believe you are not human. Take it, and I pledge to you—I will protect you with my life,"

The moment she had entered the wooden mansion he lived in, he believed that his life was coming to an end. But- the moment she extended her hand, he knew, his life was just about to start. So, with all his fears thrown aside, he reached for her hand and took it. As her palm surrounded his small ones, a divine smile graced her lips.