Chapter 9

With all that had happened over the past few days, I nearly forgot I was supposed to be expelled first thing Monday morning at school. At the morning assembly, I wait as my fate is to be announced, or so Principal Shoppe told me. She wants to make an example of me in front of everyone. So, I stand by her side on the stage and wait for the verdict. By the happy smirk on vice principal Howard's lips, I think I know where this is going.

"Attention, attention. Everyone I have an announcement to make, due to the recent pranks I---"

"Wait!" Jade cuts off Principal Shoppe.

I give her a confused look.

Then she and Archer share a look. They smile at each other before pulling out a whistle from their pockets and blowing as hard as they can. Before anyone can process what is happening the sound of a cowbell being played draws our attention to the cafeteria entrance.

The whole Drumline comes marching in! Playing We're Not Going to Take It by Twisted Sister. Demarcus comes out from behind me and principal Shoppe and tosses a mic to Jade and Archer. Jade gets up on a table.

We share a look and I can't help but smile at her. She would do something like this. Then while looking at me she winks and starts singing.

"We're not gonna take it. No, we ain't gonna take it. Oh, we're not gonna take it anymore!"

Someone pulls out their guitar and plugs it into an amp and turns it up loud. He starts shredding along to the song. People start standing on tables and jumping around like crazy. It reminds me of when I first moved to this town.

Archer gets up on the table with Jade and they sing back to back. Just when I think it can't get any crazier a guy in the senior class known for playing rock n' roll jumps up on stage with me and takes the mic right out of principal Shoppe's hands. She yelps in surprise. His hair is all crazy and his face is painted, he has on a rocker outfit. He gets right in vice-principal Howard's face and sings at the top of his lungs,

"Oh, you're so condescending. Your gall is never-ending. We don't want nothin', not a thing from you!"

Despite her best efforts, Principal Shoppe smiles and even giggles at everyone. Jade jumps up on the stage with us and wraps her arm around my waist, looking Principal Shoppe in the face as she sings. Everyone crowds around the stage now and sings along.

The guitar guy bust out into a solo, just like in the song. Vice principal Howard moves to try and unplug the amp, but he gets picked up by the football team and carried out of the cafeteria screaming in protest. Everyone cheers and whistles.

Once the song ends everyone goes deathly silent. Jade steps forward.

"Whatever you do to her, you got to do to me too." She says.

"And me!" Archer says.

"Me too!" The guitar guy jumps in.

"Yeah, me too!" people start shouting in every direction.

Principal Shoppe takes the mic from Jade. She looks to me with a raised eyebrow, I do the best to hide the smile on my face.

"Alright, alright. But come on guys, lay off Howard will ya," She says.

Everyone cheers just as the first bell rings for everyone to go to class.

"Now get to class," She adds. Then she looks at me and winks.

Everyone is all smiles, laughing about it as they walk off.

"Jade!" I tackle her in a hug.

"What? I told you I wasn't going to take it. Surprise!" She laughs.