Chapter 29

So Jade in fact did get sick and had to stay home from school. My mom dropped me off today. I admit I am sort of glad I don't have to see Jade today; I don't think my heart could take the trauma.

As I sat down next to Darleen, everyone at the table seemed to be in a miserable mood.

"Where's Jade?" Archer spat.

"She's sick, she stayed home," I said.

He huffed and averted his gaze.

Jade made it seem like things ended in a mutual understanding between them, but I'm not getting that vibe.

Darleen kissed me on the cheek and I smiled up at her.

After morning announcements, we all went our separate ways. I was actually able to get my work done in biology today. At practice, I was able to stay focused the whole time. It wasn't until after practice that Darleen walked over to me.

"Do you need a ride?" she asked.

"Uh It's okay, my mom will come get me." I pulled out my phone to call her.

"I can give you a ride," She stopped me. "It's no big deal. It is my girlfriend duty after all."

"Okay, if you want to."

"I do." She smiled.

So after we both got showered I sat in her fancy car and let her drive me home. We rode in silence.

"You okay? You've been off all day." She says.

"I asked Jade if she liked me," I say.

"What did she say?" she turns to look at me as we are stopped at a red light.

I can see the worry and the fear on her face. Not like she has anything to worry about. Jade said what I always knew she would say, and that was she said nothing really at all.

"What do you think she said, she said we are best friends, that would be weird." I let out a painfilled laugh.

Darleen sighed in relief.

"You don't have to stay hung up on her Skylar." She says as the light turns green.

" I don't want to talk about it. I just... I just need time to recover. It still stings." I force my tears back.

"You can always talk to me, no matter what." She grabs my hand and interlocks our fingers.

"Stop it, stop being so perfect." I pout.

"Sorry, no can do. Not until you stop being adorable." She brought my hand to her lips and kissed my knuckles.

We pulled into my house and she walked me to the door.

"Thanks for the ride." I force a smile.

"Anytime. You need me, I'll be there. No matter what. That's what real friends do."

She hugged me, and I hugged her back.

"It will be okay, one day it will stop hurting. I promise." She soothed me.

"When?" I clung to her and buried my head into her chest, my eyes watering.

"Before you know it, promise." She rubbed my back.

"Stop being perfect."

"Stop making me love you." she countered.

I pulled back and moved to wipe my tears, she stopped me and wiped them for me. then she gently kissed me on the lips, making my face go red. She smiled at the sight of it.