Part Four: Myth

Part four

"Persephone!" Tobias's deep voice rumbled through the halls of the museum as he marched after the angry girl.

Posey glared over her shoulder as she continued to march towards the exit. Her heels clicked against the marble floors and people jumped out of the way.

"How dare you walk away from me?" Tobias grew angry with her sudden hostility.

As soon as the words left his lips, Posey spun around like a whirlwind. Her glossy dark hair flew around her narrow eyes like a dark veil as she stopped to face the god behind her.

"How dare I?" Posey asked. "Who do you think you are?"

"You can not speak to me like that," The muscle on Tobias's jaw flexed.

"Why not?" Posey raised a brow. "I was raised Christian. I do not have to bow down to the lord of the underworld."

The dark cloud in Tobias's eyes began to swirl as Posey stood in front of him with her head held high and her shoulders pushed back.

"Unless you are my father, boyfriend or husband, you have no right to tell me to listen to you," Posey sassed. "Now. Are we done here?"

"Very much so," Tobias's anger flared as he watched Posey turn away once more and stomp out of the museum.

He had every intention to never see her again. But when his feet started to follow her without his permission, he groaned and pushed his hands into his coat pocket. Following her scent of Jasmine, Tobias walked out of the museum and headed down the street.

Just a few feet away, he spotted Posey storming off towards her hotel. He silently began to follow her, keeping a good few feet away. With every step the god took, his anger alleviated. He began to take notice of how the cool breeze played with the girls hair or the way she glared at him over her shoulder. She had her thin coat tightly wrapped around her body and her arms hugged herself for warmth.

As Posey walked, looking over her shoulder, Tobias raised his hand to catch her attention. Two men, with their heads in their phones walked towards the girl. Both parties were completely unaware of the collision about to take place. Posey frowned as she watched Tobias's speed pick up. She took an angry step forward and slammed into one of the men.

"Ooo," Posey stumbled back. "I'm so sorry."

The man began to say something in French. As Tobias walked up to her, Posey shook her head.

"Sorry. I don't understand. I'm trying to get away from this cold soulless man that thinks he can just show up any time. He completely blindsided me! I was expecting flowers or something. Even a pomegranate would have been nice. Kind of ironic, don't you think?"

"Persephone, they can't understand you," Tobias shook his head.

"Obviously!" Posey snapped her eyes towards him. "It was for you to hear!"

Rolling his eyes and growing at the back of his throat, Tobias turned to the man staring at Posey.

"Brainless dogs," he muttered under his breath. With a threatening step toward the man, Tobias took a gentle hold of Posey's elbow. He began to guide her away when she pulled her arm back and headed in the opposite direction.

"Persephone!"

"Stop calling me that!" Posey said over her shoulder. "What's the point of that name if I can't have my Hades?"

"It's a bloody myth!"

"You're a bloody moron!"

"Excuse me?" The darkness in Tobias's eyes made Posey's head spin. She gasped as the god flashed through the space between them and appeared right in front of her. The air around her chilled as Posey's eyes dropped to his lips.

"I will not be disrespected by a human," Tobias said. His voice was laced with warning.

"Or what?" Posey asked, lifting her big brown doe eyes. "Will you send me to hell?"

Despite the irritation in his chest, Tobias found himself smiling at her words. The girl's ability to disarm his centuries of armor frightened him.

"No," Tobias's voice softened. "Although, that is a very tempting idea right now."

"Maybe myths are like prophecies," Posey insisted. "Maybe we were always meant to find our way to one another."

"I don't think that's how it wo-"

"Why are you so stubborn?" Posey whined. "Why won't you let me in?"

"You're begging me to take you to the underworld," Tobias said the words hoping maybe hearing it aloud would change her mind.

"Yes!" Posey nodded.

"You won't like the underworld," Tobias sighed.

"Who cares?" Posey frowned. "I like you."

"You don't know me," Tobias held her gaze. He was stunned by how unaffected she was by the darkness he carried.

"You're not a stranger," Posey took a small step forward.

"You must have really hit your head hard during that accident," Tobias scanned the girl's face.

"Why didn't you just let me die?" Posey asked.

Caught off guard by her question, Tobias frowned.

"Pardon?"

"Why didn't you let me die after my accident?" Posey shivered from the cold air. Her hair blew in the wind as she waited for the god to answer her. Her eyes began to water from the chill in the air and her nose turned cold.

As she watched, Tobias took a step back from where the pair stood inches apart. Posey followed him and eliminated the distance he created.

"Tell me you feel the pull just as I do," Posey said. "Tell me you can't sleep at night because all you can think about are dark eyes and summer nights on the steps of the MET."

Tobias remained silent. He felt the time slip through his fingers as he tried to make sense of all she was asking of him.

Who was this girl? Where had she been all these centuries? Why was she so good at making the god of the underworld shiver with her glossy eyes, full lips, and sharp words?

"Tell me!" Posey demanded as Tobias stood around silently staring at her.

"I don't," he said after a skipped heart beat. "I don't feel anything and my nights are filled with dreamless slumber."

Posey gasped. She flinched from his words in disbelief.

"Nothing?" She asked, with hope in her voice.

Tobias couldn't lie. He knew there was something about her. Why else had he begged for her life? Why else was he here?

But he was afraid his answer might give the girl a false hope for a future he knew he couldn't have with her.

"Nothing," Tobias said.

"You're a liar," Posey's face fell. "I don't believe you."

"Believe whatever you want, dove," Tobias took a step back and decided it was the right time to take his leave. "Goodbye, Persephone."

Since you guys liked the other one so much <3 There will be a part 3