The Diadem

"Hogwarts?" Hermione gasped. "We can't—we'll be caught!"

Harry started stripping off his freezing cold clothes while the witch pulled out dry ones. "We have no choice. That's where it's at. We have to go now."

"But we need a plan—"

"When have our plans ever worked?" Ron muttered, shucking off his jeans.

Percy willed himself dry. "The point is that's where the Horcrux is. And if He knows we're after them, we don't have much time. We've got to get there first."

Hermione slipped on a dry sweatshirt, looking nervous. But she nodded and held out her hands. The boys took her arms and spun into nothingness.

A horrible shriek split the air as they apparated into Hogsmeade. Percy pushed them down to hide behind a table.

"Bloody hell, what do we do?"

"Potter! Jackson! In here!" A man's voice hissed.

Without waiting, Harry jumped to his feet and ran towards the man. Percy cursed and followed quickly. They ran into the man's home.

The old man shut the door and turned to find Percy's wand at his throat. Harry struggled to roll his eyes—his cousin was suspicious of everyone.

Percy's arm dropped when the man's face was illuminated by the candlelight. "Aberforth!"

"Hello again, boy," the man grunted, pushing past the demigod.

"How—? Who—?" Harry stammered.

"I'm Albus's brother," the man revealed. "And Perseus here liked to bother me with Albus's business two years back."

Percy's face reddened. "We need to get into Hogwarts," he said quickly.

Aberforth sneered. "More work from Albus? His orders will get you killed."

"Okay," Percy agreed.

That was not the response Aberforth was expecting.

"So can you get us in?"

The old man shook his head in disbelief but dutifully walked over to his sister's portrait. Ten minutes later, Neville was leading them through a secret passageway into the school.

They pushed open the portrait door and emerged into a huge room with high arches and hammocks. Harry realized it was the Room of Requirement—and it was packed with people. He recognized his old friends, roommates, members of the DA, and more.

"IT'S HARRY!" Seamus yelled upon seeing him. Harry grinned and jumped down from the portrait hole, followed by Hermione and Ron. People jumped up and cheered, pulling them all into hugs.

But then the room quieted when they saw Percy step into the light. Harry imagined what they must see—Percy, who had disappeared once again. Rumors had circulated that he'd taken on Voldemort 1:1 in the Ministry. That he was Harry's cousin. They saw someone they knew to be extremely powerful, although they had no idea how true that was.

Percy jumped down, his sneakers slamming against the tile floor. He was wearing a white button down with a grey sweater, his black hair windswept like he'd been walking on the beach.

"The war is starting," he announced in an authoritative voice. He stood tall and proud. Harry felt like he was a soldier being commanded. Then he remembered that Percy had actually led armies into war. He'd heard the stories of the Titan War and Giant War. Although this was new to Harry, it was just another day in the life of his cousin.

"The war is here. Voldemort is coming—We can say his name," Percy said louder as people started panicking. "He knows where we are anyway."

"It's true," Harry added. "We have to be ready. But we need to find something. We don't know what or where, but it'll be something small and valuable and could help us defeat Voldemort. Probably something of Ravenclaw's."