-10-

-10-

The weekend in the mountain cabin passed somehow much too fast. That's why we decided to go there again soon for a whole week. And then best of all, when it's not snowing all the time. Because we couldn't do anything because it was snowing all the time and in addition there was this crazy storm that really whipped the snowflakes into our faces.

When we arrived at the hospital on Monday for our late shift, we also have the same shifts, Zhan was expecting several new patients. And as usual in the last few months, I accompanied him to all the patients. We came into room 2.22 and I stood frozen as I saw the patient and his visitors.

My big brother is a patient in our hospital. And his visitors are my father, and my three stepmothers! My brother looked at me apologetically and I read from his lips: "I am really sorry."

Zhan looked at me with concern, came back to me at my side and whispered, "I am with you. You are not alone. Let's handle this like professionals. And if they annoy you, I'll throw them all out." I nodded and stayed close by Zhan's side as we walked to my brother's bed.

My father and my three stepmothers looked at me in amazement, they probably didn't expect to see me here. My father's main wife was the first to speak to me and said, "After years I finally see you again and I see you are doing well."

And my father then said, "That's very fortunate, then I can introduce you to your other two mothers." It was like Zhan wasn't even there.

"Uh, I don't need that, thanks." I said it calmly.

"What do you mean, you don't need to? They're your moms and you should meet them!" My father scolded.

Zhan took my hand, held it and said, "If Yibo doesn't want to meet your wives, you have to respect that! And if you can't, I'll order you out of this room."

My father looked at Zhan angrily and asked him, "Why are you two holding hands? Is he a baby or what?"

Zhan smiled at me and said to my father, "If anything, Yibo is my baby. Yes, my baby. And if you upset him, it upsets me too. And believe me, it's better not to upset me."

"Your baby? Are you a couple?" My father asked.

I looked my father deep in the eyes and said: "Yes, Dad, we are a couple. And you know what? I'm happy about that! I've never been happier than I am now with Zhan."

"And you think I accept that my son is in a homosexual relationship? I don't care what anybody else does. But I won't let my second-born son be with a man. We'll see how long you're a couple when the hospital management finds out about your relationship!" My father said.

Zhan stepped right up to him, he is almost a head taller than my father. He looked deep into his eyes and said, "Oh you can go complain. Yibo and I came here extra one hour earlier today to inform the hospital management about our relationship. And you know what? They congratulated us and are standing behind us. Oh, and if you're going to complain, please mention that you are Yibo's father and have several wives."

My father suddenly turned pale in the face and didn't say a word. His main wife, however, did not shut up and wanted to know if I was ready to lose my family.

I looked at her angrily and said, "What family? Do you really think I see you as my family? I do not. I am not voluntarily the child of a polygamous family. No one has ever asked me for my opinion. And you don't live like that because it has something to do with your faith. It's because dad is obviously never satisfied. And why is his new wife even younger than me? And I' m supposed to accept her as my stepmom? She's 22 years old, I'm 26 years old, and I'm not going to call her mother."