ρoιnт вreaĸ : three

(A/N: please excuse any typos/ grammar errors, this is unedited. I'll be updating this again hopefully tomorrow or Monday and it'll be a long chapter. Hope you guys enjoy, all feedback wanted. Please vote if you dig the chapter. Thank you and happy reading.)

"Chaa," Becca says as she squeezes my shoulders. "You were so killer out there."

"Yeah you were really ripping it," Keno adds. Despite how tired I am, and how aching my muscles are, I smile at him. My mind is swishing with so many thoughts, the adrenaline from the surf still clings to my body. I want to go back in, I want to embrace the water like an old friend and just dive under and surf: I just want to surf.

"Just luck," I say with a shake of my head.

"Chaa, dundee's got the bug," Kai says as he comes out of the water. Grinning, I duck my head. "I bet you're itching to get in there yeah?"

"It was a great feeling." Great is an understatement. Being in the water, riding the wave like that, for that split second, felt out of this world. As we trek back up toward our items, all I can think about is how I want to experience surfing again. Tucking the board under my arm, I follow the others. But I keep a slow pace, so my strides keep me beside Kai.

"Kai," I say, my voice cracking some. My throat is sore and my lips salty, but I ignore it. "Do you think you can teach me how to surf?" He looks up at me, this smug grin on his face.

"They never can resist," he says with a chuckle as he shakes his head. "You sure you want to do this? I mean it's a pretty demanding sport and you've got to have a clear head, be focused-"

"I can do it." I simply say, not angry just determined. "I'm a great swimmer and I don't back down." We've both stopped and now Kai's looking at me, looking beneath me as though trying to decide if I've got the force within me to actually be worth teaching. "I know I can do it."

"Alright if we do this, I just need to make sure you can do one thing for me."

"What's that?"

"Don't give up." Kai offers me a smile and continues back up the beach. His words ignited a memory inside of me, something I'd forgotten so long ago. But the memory seizes me and wraps around me, soothing, like a warm blanket.

━━━━━━━━❀━━━━━━━━

When I first thought of trying out for the swim team, I had no training. The only swimming I'd done, was a few splash abouts in the lake when we went to camp, or a lap or two in the community pool, nothing serious. A lot of the students had been swimming longer than me, one girl, Amanda, even went ahead to participate in the Junior Olympics. I'd eventually stopped thinking about trying out, not thinking I'd be good at it. Kayleigh made me think otherwise, she installed that fight in me.

Every day we practiced in the same community pool, Kayleigh blowing a whistle and timing me as I swam back and forth till my muscles burned and the smell of chlorine made me dizzy. Her voice was always there, guiding me, 'Show 'em Tay,' she'd always say.