28.

Honestly, I kind of feel bad for what I pulled at the end of this chapter...

But you should be used to it by now.

Chapter 27 - "Hello, is this the PD? Yeah, my friend fainted."

Calypso really wants to know who "Dirt Face" is.

Silena and Beckendorf (he insisted that all his friends call him that) kept talking about her. At least, Calypso assumed it was a 'her'.

Apparently, Dirt Face was some evil woman bent on ruling the government. Calypso wasn't really supposed to know this, but she couldn't help but eavesdrop when she heard her foster parents whispering around.

At first, Calypso assumed that Dirt Face must be from some TV show or something because there is no way that her parents would actually know about that kind of stuff. Silena was a hairdresser at a local salon, and Beckendorf was a police officer.

But then Calypso realized that it couldn't be fictional. They were way too invested in her for it to be not real. Unless it was an obsession.

Calypso hoped it wasn't an obsession. Once, in first grade, a boy was obsessed with bananas and she brought one for a snack and...

Let's just say it did not end well.

Calypso was laying on her bed on her back, staring at the window. She hoped something would come, or maybe someone.

After a couple of seconds of staring at the window with hope, Calypso sighed and rolled over.

Creak.

Calypso turned back to the window in alarm. She may have been hoping for something interesting, but the phrase "be careful what you wish for" really could be taken many different ways.

Creak. Snap. Grunt.

Calypso clapped a hand over her mouth. There was someone in the tree outside her room. She got off the bed noiselessly and grabbed a hairbrush from her dresser table, creeping towards the window.

She clicked the locks and pushed it open, brandishing her weapon menacingly. But there was no one in the tree. Calypso noticed that one of the branches looked clipped, as if it fell off. She heard groaning coming from below, and popped her head out of the window.

Leo was lying on the ground under the tree, flat on his back. The rest of the tree branch was next to him. He noticed her looking and got up, wincing and brushing himself off.

Calypso stared incredulously at him, "What in the world are you doing Leo?!"
Leo smiled, but it looked more like a grimace, "Funny story actually..."

Calypso crossed her arms and Leo waved his arms at the branch.

"Sorry about your tree..." he said, then looked thoughtful, "Wait... I guess it's our tree. I mean, it is between both of our windows-"

"Leo, what are you doing?" Calypso repeated, and Leo smiled sheepishly.

"Well, I was bored and my dad is doing his stuff," he said, "I saw you were awake cause your light was on, so I thought maybe we could on an adventure?"

Calypso couldn't keep a smile from her face, an adventure sounds fun.

"But why were you on the ground?"

"Um, I was trying to get into the tree and knock on your window, like they do in fairy tales you know?"

"Well, why didn't you just use the front door?"