Chapter 17

Author's Note: This chapter has some descriptions of injuries, abuse, and a panic attack. Please read at your own discretion.
——

"Mittens?" Emira questioned in quiet shock as she took in the sight of her sister curled up on the floor of her library hideout

"Mittens?" Emira questioned in quiet shock as she took in the sight of her sister curled up on the floor of her library hideout. "Mittens!" the green haired girl spoke again, this time as a yell as she ran toward the smaller witch on the ground. "Amity..." Emira whispered as she kneeled down near her sister as she hesitantly moved to place a shaky hand on her shoulder, not knowing what to expect in her touch. "Oh baby... what happened to you?" Emira sighed heavily, relieved at the sight of a faint rise and fall in the young witch's chest.

"Mm what?" Amity groaned as she slowly moved to sit up. "Em?"

"Mittens.! Hey, you're okay. You're okay..." Emira choked through concern. "Mittens what happened? Why were you on the floor?"

"I... I had to get away," Amity groaned as her once bandaged hand slowly moved to clutch her ribs.

"Get away? From what?" Emira questioned apprehensively.

"From school," Amity spoke, barely above a whisper. "I didn't want to be there. I couldn't. Boscha, we... we got into an argument this morning after she pushed Luz," the green haired witch stuttered, "and well, she told me she better not see me again today so I ran."

"Mittens..."

"I couldn't risk getting into it with her again, Em. I couldn't risk getting in trouble and Principal Bump calling Mom and... calling them."

"I understand," Emira sighed, staring at her younger sister sympathetically as she watched Amity avert her gaze, a look of sorrow and embarrassment on her face. "But Mittens, I still don't understand, why were you on the floor? And why weren't you taking anyone's calls?"

"I... I don't know, Em," Amity whispered. "The last thing I remember was running and now... now were here," the smaller witch explained as she slowly sat up, pain shooting through her ribs and head causing her to double over.

"Woah, hey," Emira spoke, concern carrying in her voice as she reached one hand out to support her sister's back. "Take it easy, okay? Did Boscha hurt you? Ed and I, we heard you and Luz were back in school and then about the fight..."

"She... she tackled me. She dug her knee into my ribs and... and my head hit the floor..." Amity sighed. "I guess I must have fainted when I got back here. I don't think my ribs were completely healed to begin with to be honest..."

"Thats not good, Amity," the older witch spoke, brow furrowed in concern. "We need to get you back to the healers."

"NO!" Amity shouted as her eyes grew wide, pulling away from her sister as she spoke. "I... I don't want to."

"No? What do you mean no? You're hurt, Amity. Who knows what kind of damage Boscha did..." Emira argued as she leaned in closer to Amity.

"I don't want to go, Em. I can't leave. Its not safe."