Chapter 3

Taya and Byron explained everything that had come back to them to that point, and as they talked, more and more started to make its way back to Addison.

"It's just a game," Byron told her as they made their way back down the beach.

"Then how come none of us can remember anything?" Addison asked, "Or at least, why can't I?"

"I don't remember for sure how it all works, but when they first knocked us all out, they used some kind of memory serum to make it a little more fair for the lone wolf."

"Lone wolf?"

"Yeah. The odd man out. Basically, there are twelve of us, all with something in common, and one who just doesn't quite fit the mold of the rest."

"And we have to figure out who that person is?"

Taya nodded, "Yep. It's our job as a group to vote somebody out. If the whole group can eliminate the lone wolf, we get to split the grand prize."

"Which is?"

"Nobody knows," Byron shrugged, "It'd probably be easier to figure out if we knew what it was that we had in common."

"So how often do we vote each other out?"

"Well, we have to wait until whoever has the advantage casts their vote." Byron seemed to have recovered more of his memory than anyone up to that point.

"So what's the advantage?"

He laughed, "So from what I remember, the person with the advantage gets to steal a vote from another player and cast a second vote for themselves. That vote gets to be in private and after the person with the advantage casts their first vote, red fireworks shoot off to signal to everyone else that they have twenty-four hours to cast theirs."

"How do we do that?"

Byron shrugged again. He was super calm and seemed happy to be playing, "No idea. Whoever was randomly chosen to have the first advantage is the only person who knows where the voting station is. They woke up next to it."

"You mean Sheamus?"

Byron stopped and turned to look at Addison who had stopped walking as well, "Is that someone on your beach?"

"Yeah." Taya answered for her. "He's some big Irish dude who thinks he's better than everyone."

Byron smiled and shook his head, "This is going to be fun."

"What do you mean?" Addison asked as they started walking again.

"Well, you see, he could decide not to tell us where we go to vote. Is he a real asshole?"

"Well--"

"Yeah," Taya replied, cutting Addison off, "He dislocated one of my beachmate's shoulders."

Addison was about to speak up to Sheamus's defense before thinking that if she let Taya talk him down, maybe they could find out where to vote and vote him off. If the group is small at the end when the lone wolf is voted off, and if the prize is money, that would mean more cash per person.

"So when do we know that it's been twenty-four hours?"

"Blue fireworks," Byron answered, "From then, we have an hour to vote, and after the hour, the elimination occurs, but no one will be around to witness them leave."

"How does that work?"

"Again. I don't know. I just know that once they have been kicked off the island, we'll see green fireworks. From there, we look for the next advantage challenge."