Chapter 20: The Forest's Dark Secrets

Start from the beginning

He took a sharp turn. Just like he had hoped, he heard the loud crack of a tree being hit, and a sharp whine. He had out-maneuvered one of them at least. There was no time to look back and make sure that he had actually gotten one, so he wasn't entirely sure.

He heard the rushing sound of a river and ran towards it. He might not be the best climber, but he was a great swimmer. And wolves usually weren't. It sounded like it had a strong current, but Charlie was sure he could handle it. His ribs burned at the thought of extra work, but the rest of his body carried him towards it anyway.

The woods were thick where he had run to. There were so many trees that the sun could just barely make it through. As dark as it was, Charlie could still see his way around. It made it all the more easier to see the clearing that he could only guess was to the riverbank.

He made it through the clearing. The river was in sight. But, before he could jump into the water, one of the wolves seemed to appear out of thin air. It jumped in front of him, blocking him from the river that roared behind them. They were smart wolves, he had to admit. It seemed like they knew exactly what he was planning.

He never thought wolves could get this big. Now that he was able to look at one up close like this, he realized that it was almost as big as the red one he had met that acted like a puppy. They both must have been from different packs. How Charlie had lasted this long running away from the dark brown wolf was surprising to say the least.

Instinctively, Charlie tried to run back into the forest. But the entrance that he came from was now blocked by the second wolf that had been chasing him. They started circling him with hungry eyes.

This pack must not have been in the best of shape. The two wolves looked raged and skinny in comparison. Like they hadn't eaten in a long time. The muscle on their legs were noticeable, even with the hunger in their eyes.

Brown wolves weren't usually native to these parts. These two must have been traveling for food. A part of him wanted to try and see if he could talk them down, but the looks in their eyes told him that it wouldn't work.

There were so many things he wished he had been able to do in his life. He wanted to have a family and a good job. He wished that he had been able to go off on his boss for all the crap the man put him through.

He wished he had actually kissed Max again. That was his first kiss. And now it was going to be his last.

One of them lunged for him. He put his arms up to protect his face. He closed his eyes and prepared for the pain that he was about to be subject to. Hopefully it would be quick. Instead of feeling any pain, however, he heard a growl from somewhere else. Curiosity got the better of him and he opened his eyes and looked past his arms.

A blond wolf had come into the clearing. He must have caught one of the brown ones in mid-air. Because Charlie wasn't hurt at all. And he saw that wolf jump at him. Both of the wolves were now attacking the blond one. He should have taken that time to his advantage and started running again, but something stopped him.

He recognized this wolf. It was one of the one's he first met near the city. But he didn't understand why they would be so far out here. Was their territory that big, or were they just traveling to hunt when he saw them last?

A loud snap of a bone breaking brought him back to the fight that was taking place. The blond wolf had one of the brown ones' necks in his mouth. With that one now limp and lifeless, the blond let go of it and started snapping its bloody teeth at the other wolf. Blood was everywhere. The rocks and dirt were now covered in it, along with all the wolves at this point. He couldn't be sure which wolf was in the worst condition.