Chapter 24 - Payback

Start from the beginning

I was still pondering over my problems when someone came to stand close to me. It wasn't until I looked over that I took a double take. It was Logan from the bar. He noticed me the same time I recognized him. "Will!" He grinned and came over to where I stood, leaning his arms over the railing as well.

"Logan?" I didn't think I'd actually ever see him again. Especially here in all places. Besides, didn't he live over in the next county? "What are you doing here?"

He shrugged and nodded his head in the direction he had come from. "I came for the food." We were on the tenth floor which not only was the highest floor in this building, but it was also the kitchen floor for the patients who actually lived in this building. Surprisingly, I found myself chuckling at his words. "Nah, I'm just here for a friend." Logan turned back over to me as I exhaled a lungful of smoke into the air.

"Got one to spare?" he asked.

"Do you even smoke?" I asked.

"Why not start now?"

I shrugged and pulled another cigarette out and handed it to him. He put it between his lips and I lighted it for him. I was just turning away when he started hacking beside me. He spit the entire cigarette out and leaned over, coughing his lungs out. When he finished, I raised my eyebrows at him and easily blew out another lungful of smoke.

"Now you're just showing off," he grunted and wiped at his mouth with his sleeve.

I shook my head at him and dropped my cigarette on the floor, stamping out the lit end. "You're supposed to inhale it and keep the smoke inside your chest not lungs. Unless you're trying to hack yourself to death than that's the way to do it." I turned to leave but he grabbed me by the arm.

"Hey, I was just heading back to town. Want to come with? We can go back to that bar we met in. You look like you can use a drink."

I considered his offer. "Sure."

We were just about to head back to where the elevators were when a pretty girl with dark hair and her friend walked past us and waved flirtatiously at Logan.

"Hey, Logan! I'll see you at my party Friday, right?"

I raised my eyebrows at Logan who just smiled easily back at the girl and said, "Yeah, of course."

The girl turned her attention to me and then returned it back over to Logan. "And bring your friend, yeah?"

I punched Logan in the side, willing him to say no because parties weren't my thing, but Logan just casually smacked my arm away from him and ignored me. "Yeah. You can count on it." The girl grinned and waved goodbye before disappearing with her friend.

"What the hell was that?" I whispered loudly, thinking that the girls could hear me from where I stood.

"Does it matter? You're not dating anyone are you?" I opened my mouth to say something, but he quickly continued on. "And even if you were, it doesn't matter. A party once in a while never killed anyone."

"Yeah, but-"

He patted me on the back and pushed the elevator's down button. "Don't worry, you can be my date." He flashed a devilish grin before slipping into the open elevator.

The crowd in the same bar this time was packed. Everyone seemed to breathe the same air. Drunk girls were hanging out by the tables where groups of guys were betting and playing poker. The lighting was so dim I had to try hard not to trip over anyone's feet.

"Can we leave now?" I called over the music at Logan. He pretended not to hear me and slipped out of his jacket, pulling up a stool next to the counter. "My usual, please," he said to the bartender who just nodded and poured a bunch of alcohol together.