Chapter 7 - Find Me

Kaylee's POV

"Will-" Dr. Joseph's voice was heard clearly from where I was eavesdropping once again.

"You don't-" Will paused. "You don't understand." He finally muttered.

"Will, will you please sit down so we can figure this out together?" There was a plea to Dr. Joseph's voice. I wondered what was so urgent.

Will laughed. "Figure out what?" he scoffed. There were slight shifting movements that were heard after that.

"This has happened one too many times. Will, you could've died last night. It was a miracle that Louis even found you and got you checked out. I'm just worried-" he stopped talking suddenly, and I silenced my breathing to hear Will's response.

It was quiet before Will said, "Maybe I should've."

The door swung open roughly then, and almost hit me in the face. I jumped back and Will caught my eyes for a second, before turning his face away from quickly, and jostling past me. But I had seen what I already had already seen.

His lip was cut in all the wrong places, his face bruised badly, and small cuts and more bruises covered his arms like tattoos as he tried to cover it up with a blue jacket, but of course it couldn't hide everything. I leaned myself against the wall behind me, trying to steady myself. I never did well when I saw things like that.

I had already seen Chance one too many times like that. It always happened sometime in school when some guys decided that because he couldn't love girls, because he loved someone his own gender, that he wasn't human. But Avery always had his back, and I had his, too, because he had ours.

I slowly made myself breathe in and out, before using the wall as guidance to slip into Dr. Joseph's office for my appointment. I didn't sit, but stayed leaned against the wall for support. I was feeling dizzy now, my vision blurred in and out, before Dr. Joseph quietly said, "Go. I have a feeling you know where to find him."

Thanking him quickly, I made my way out the front door and found myself running. He was right; I did know where to go. Turning this way and that, I found myself down the familiar path that Will had only just shown me yesterday, and slowly made my way down the slope leading down to the creek.

Halfway down the slope, I saw him. He stood out really, with his dark colored clothing among the whiteness of the snow blanket, and the way he moved slightly. As I looked closer, I realized that his feet were in the water, and I completely stopped thinking. Stumbling the rest of my way down, tripping as I went along, I made my way towards him clumsily.

Before I even reached him, he said, "It hurts. That's what makes everything feel better." How he knew, I didn't know, but slipping my fingers into the water, my fingers froze and became numb immediately.

I nudged him to remove his feet from the freezing water, but he shook his head, and turned away from me once again. I hated how he always did that.

Fine. If he was going to be this stubborn, I was going to be the same with him. Slipping my warm boots off, and taking off my socks, I reluctantly jammed my feet into the freezing water. A surge of sharp coldness went through my body, and I wanted to pull my feet out, but I didn't. My teeth began chattering, as I tried to rub warmth back into my arms. I decided on trying to concentrate on something else other than freezing to death, because this was for Will's sake, whether he knew it or not.

When I guess he felt the water move other than its usual pattern, he turned to look at me, giving a shout in surprise.

His cold breath mixing in with the coldness of the air formed a fog as he whisper-yelled at me, "Kaylee! Get your feet out of the water! You're going to catch a cold!" he tried to get me to move, but I held my ground because he held is.