"How about we start at the beginning then? What's your favorite color? Animal? Drink?"

"Mint green, giraffe, and orange juice." She fired off the answers without hesitation, going along with the simple questions.

"Wow, me too."

She whipped her head around to face me, eyes wide. I had to bite the inside of my cheek so I wouldn't immediately burst into laughter at the expression on her face.

"Wait, really?"

"No," I said and let out the laughter I'd been holding in. She let out a sound of protest and lightly smacked my arm, laughing as she did.

"You seriously almost had me there," she said while shaking her head. "Like I could really believe your favorite color was mint green."

I turned into the lot for the restaurant, still chuckling at my little joke. Damn, I thought I was funny.

"Yeah, that's a bit far-fetched. I don't think I've ever even thought the words 'mint green' until now."

Our conversation paused as I pulled up to the valet and Celeste's door was opened by the attendant standing there. I stepped out of my car as well, watching as the valet gave her an appreciative glance but then averted his eyes politely. I tipped him well for the effort, knowing it wasn't easy to look away from the gorgeous woman. Placing my hand on the small of her back, I escorted her into the restaurant.

Yes, it was fancy as fuck. The type of place you'd need a reservation weeks ahead for. But I'd sold the majority of the art in the place to the owner, so it wasn't a problem for me. Sinbad- not his real name I was sure, but it's what everyone called him- specifically had a table reserved for me whenever I wanted it. I'd only used it one other time, but the host's eyes gleamed with recognition the moment I said my name.

We were already seated at the table in a private corner, our drink orders taken and left to our own devices for the moment before Celeste spoke up.

"Alright, spill it. How the hell did we get in here without a problem when I've been wanting to try this place for months with no luck?"

I shrugged, a small smile on my face. "I know a guy."

She snorted. "By which you probably mean you own this place. It wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how you're so mysterious and all now."

"Not mysterious," I quipped back just as the waitress returned with our drinks and took our orders, Celeste letting me order for the both of us since she couldn't decide. After she left, I continued where I'd left off. "Just private. However, you're welcome to ask me anything you want. No limits."

An eyebrow raised in surprise, she reached for her lemon water. "Anything?"

I nodded.

She hummed in thought. "What's the biggest regret of your life?"

Well then. She didn't pull her punches. I contemplated the answer while looking away although I already knew what the answer was. "Honestly? That I didn't get to know your dad better when I had the chance. I was a stupid kid, frustrated with his mom for getting married again, and I didn't stop to think that your dad was one of the good ones." I paused to sigh. "I mean, I knew he was a good guy because he didn't yell or hit or steal from me or my mom. But she'd already been through so many men I assumed it wouldn't last long so I didn't bother to try with him."

I finally looked over at Celeste, seeing that tears had gathered in her eyes at my statement. I shifted in my chair, a little uncomfortable at the raw emotion. I cleared my throat and posed my own question. "If you could do anything in the world, what would it be?"