Chapter 4: Celeste

Despite the reassurance from Madison the night before, now that I was walking into the building of my new job I wish I'd called and turned them down after all. I tried to keep my poker face on, pleasant smile in place, but I was shaking in my worn-out heels. I'd pulled out the only office sensible outfit I had this morning, knowing I was going to have to go buy more asap. All I had was a pair of slightly scuffed black 3-inch heels, a black pencil skirt that I'd had since high school that was now a little tight, and one white button up shirt.

I walked up to the front desk where a beautiful woman around the same age as myself sat. She looked up as I opened the door, a polite smile on her face. I tried to hide my nervousness as I smiled back and introduced myself.

"Hi, I'm Celeste. I guess I'm supposed to start today with Travis."

"Ah yes, I heard about that! I'm Noelle," she said while standing up to take my outstretched hand. "I'm not usually at this desk, but the front reception guy is out sick today."

I let the surprise show on my face as she came around the desk, motioning for me to follow her. "What do you usually do here then? Sorry if that's rude," I hurriedly added.

She let out an easy laugh. "Not at all. I'm the other owner's assistant."

I was glad she wasn't looking at me as I felt my face begin to color. Casually as possible I commented, "Oh, you mean Liam?"

"Yes. Those two can be a handful, but they're great to work for."

"That's relieving to hear," I said with obvious relief. She turned to look at me and grinned.

"It doesn't hurt that they're both hot as hell," she whispered before knocking on the door we'd stopped in front of.

"Enter." The serious, somber voice brought back all the nerves, but Noelle snorted next to me before turning the knob and pushing the door open.

"Why are you so weird Travis?" Some of the nerves disappated with her words as I followed Noelle into the room, taking a deep breath before stepping out from behind her.

A hearty laugh filled the room, and I froze as I took in the sight before me. Travis was sitting at his desk in his office, a giant smile on his face as he and Noelle teased each other. He was obviously attractive; well-built, tall, blonde hair and blue eyes that sparkled with humor.

But it was the man that had stood up as we walked in, turning around slowly that held my attention completely, Noelle and Travis's voices fading into the background as I stared into a pair of dark eyes that I hadn't seen in twelve years.

Liam had grown up well. My lady bits whimpered at the look in his eyes as his gaze swept over me. Too fucking well.

He'd been attractive at eighteen years old, but now that he was in his 30's, he'd turned into what Madison and I called a visual vitamin. As in, you needed a daily dose to keep your health. He was a bit taller, had bulked out a bit more, and had grown out his jet-black hair from a buzz cut to something more stylish that had the front of his hair flopping onto his forehead in a way that made my fingers itch to push it back.

My already tight skirt felt tighter than usual as we continued to stare at each other, and I could feel the blush heating up to danger levels of red on my cheeks. Thankfully, Travis stood up and pulled my attention, breath rushing into my lungs as I broke eye contact.

"Celeste, I'm so glad you accepted the position. It's going to be a lot to take in in the next three days, but if what my buddy over here told me about you is true then you should be just fine."

I cut my eyes to Liam in question for a moment before focusing on Travis again. "And what exactly has he told you?"

"You're hard-working. Reliable. A quick learner and adaptable. Did well in school." Travis was very matter-of-fact about it, like he trusted Liam's word without hesitation.