Chapter 13: Celeste

Start from the beginning

"Is it just me, or is something off about Mads and Luke?" Anthony's quiet question had me coming back to the present, realizing that he'd been slowly mixing the batter in the minutes of silence while my mind had drifted.

I bit my lip, not wanting to voice my thoughts on the subject. Anthony looked up and met my eyes, and I saw the worry for his brother and our friend that reflected mine.

"I didn't want to say anything, but I've been wondering the same thing. Madison hasn't said anything to me."

"Luke either. He usually tells me stuff, but I asked him the other day and he just ignored the question." He blew a huff of air out of his mouth that made the hair on his forehead lift a bit before settling back down. "It's not like it's awkward between us all or anything either, they're just..."

"Too polite." I picked up where he'd trailed off, thinking the exact same thing.

"That's it. Like when people don't know what to say to each other."

Silence fell between us again, both of us worried for two of the most important people in our lives. Madison and Luke had fallen in love the first moment they met in high school, and had gotten married, living the kind of lives people dreamt about. If they couldn't make it, who could?

"Where are those cookies at?!" Madison's voice proceeded her entrance into the kitchen, and Anthony and I hastily tried to look like we hadn't just been talking about her.

Which meant we looked super suspicious, of course. Madison took one look at us and narrowed her eyes.

"What's going on in here?"

I opened my mouth to reply, but I hesitated a second too long and Anthony beat me to it.

"Celeste was just telling me about this man she was muttering about."

I shot him a glare, barely keeping myself from shouting "liar!" at him in anger. This was not a good change of subject! The pleading and sheepish look in Anthony's eyes was the only thing that made me clamp my mouth shut.

"Ooh, are we talking about your hot ex-stepbrother-slash-boss?"

My eyes widened at Madison, the heat rushing to my cheeks as I looked back and forth between her big mouth and Anthony's raised eyebrows.

"What's that?" Luke found his way into the kitchen at the end of Madison's question.

I bit back a groan and closed my eyes, praying to whatever deity existed to save me from this conversation. Even drunk, it wasn't something I wanted to think about.

"Celeste wants to bang her stepbrother. Who is also her boss." Anthony supplied the not-so-helpful information, and Luke chocked on the swallow of beer he'd just taken.

Madison giggled and pat him on the back, helping him choke out a startled "What?"

"Okay stop right there, all three of you. He's not my stepbrother-"

"But he was!" Madison cut in.

"AND," I said louder to emphasize my point, "he's not my boss!"

"Unofficially though, he sort of is." Madison again.

"I also notice you didn't say anything about not wanting to bang him," Anthony added.

I let out a little scream, stomping my foot like a toddler who wasn't getting her way. "Shut up! God, it's none of your business!"

Luke wiggled his eyebrows at me. "Still not denying it!"

"Ugh, so what! He already-" I cut myself off before I could continue, slapping my hands over my mouth to stop the words. I grabbed the now forgotten bowl of dough out of Anthony's hands, spinning to start spooning them onto the cookie sheet.

"He already what?" A chorus of voices echoed behind me in sync and I ignored them as the rest of that sentence supplied itself in my thoughts.

He already ate me out like he was starving, so it's not like fucking him would be that much worse.

"Nothing. It doesn't matter. Nothing is going to come out of it anyway." I was glad my back was to them, so they couldn't see the flush that covered my face and the way my nipples had puckered at the memory of his mouth on my pussy.

"Wait, is this that guy from years ago that came with the woman your dad married? What was his name... Lester or something?"

I cringed at that name, grossed out that Luke would even suggest that as a name of a guy that I'd be interested in. I heard a smacking sound, and just knew that Madison had whacked the back of his head for his ribbing.

"Liam," Madison supplied for me when I stayed silent. "His name is Liam, and yes that's the guy."

"Either way," I continued, "they were only married for six months before separating so it's not like we were even in the same house together very long. He moved out after a couple months."

Remembering Liam's abrupt departure from years ago, the ache I'd felt then reappeared in my chest. Despite the fact that I'd barely even been able to say a word to him at that point, I'd been so disappointed to not have him around. I thought that crush had petered out after a couple years, and had even quit asking about him and keeping tabs.

The last few weeks had proved that oh so fucking wrong.

"Celeste?" Madison's voice brought me out of the memory, and I turned to find that the boys had left.

"I'm good, I'm just confused."

"What's the big problem? I know there's more going on that what you've said."

I finished placing rolls of cookie dough on the sheet and placed it in the oven before turning back to my friend.

"Well, you know how I have that job as the phone operator?" Starting with that, I spilled the beans about how I'd figured out that my Alex was also Liam, and I was torn between what I should do.

"Celeste, you're thinking about this way too much. Just do what makes you happy. Who gives a shit what's 'right' or 'wrong'? If it makes you uncomfortable, then I would say quit the phone thing. It's not your favorite anyway, and with your new job do you really need it anyway?"

"Well, it would help pay off bills quicker..." That was more of an excuse than a reason, and by the raise of her eyebrow, Mads was well aware of that.

"Take a break from the phone thing for a bit then, see how you do. If you really need it, then go ahead and start it up again."

That was a compromise I could handle. I nodded, feeling more sober than I had a few minutes ago. Madison could tell, and poured us both drinks. just as I was swallowing, she threw a question at me.

"Alright, now that we've got that part figured out... Are you gonna let Liam pop that cherry of yours?"

Alcohol burned my nose as I snorted it up, coughing as Madison laughed at my reaction, patting me on the back.

"You did that on purpose!" I sputtered the words out through the laughter.

"Well duh."

I finished wiping the liquor off my face, contemplating. Was it really a question though? My skin tingled and my pussy throbbed at the memory of the last few times I'd been alone with Liam. Would I let him take me, be my first?

"Maybe." I muttered the word out but Madison heard it, whooping in excitement and shoving more alcohol into my hands as I grinned and shook my head at her antics.

The question now, was when?