Did she feel different?

Her brain tried to articulate it while the shower washed away the scent of him.

~*~

She finally dragged herself to Cornerstone at half past eleven. It was oddly busy when she arrived, and although Morty gave her a disappointed glare that she'd come in at all, he was silently grateful that she could immediately jump on and assist an older gentleman with a few top shelf books.

The store remained busy throughout the day, which didn't give her much time to let her mind wander to the way Draco threaded his fingers through her hair when he was close, or how he gripped at her hips when he changed the angle, or the low sound of his voice when he whispered, "Look at me."

Not much time. But she found some anyway.

When Morty came back downstairs just before closing, he joined her at the counter as she finished her notations in the ledger.

"Your life is becoming far too interesting to still be working here, Miss Granger."

Hermione smiled and closed the book.

"Did Mr. Malfoy get in touch with you?"

She missed the ink pot entirely as she tried to place the quill back.

"I'm sorry?"

Morty cleaned his glasses, and looked up at her. "He was here. About fifteen minutes after opening."

Hermione's heart beat stuttered. "What... What did he want?"

Morty slid his glasses back on his nose. "Well, it certainly wasn't a book."

Hermione's eyes widened as Morty's brow lifted.

"I... What..."

"I let him know that you were off today, as I assumed you would take the whole day like I told you to."

"Oh," Hermione said. "Well, I guess I'll see him at work tomorrow."

She turned from the thin shopkeeper, and tried to process this.

Why had he come? What did he want?

A chill hit her.

Did he want to clarify things? Make sure she knew it wouldn't happen again? Or how they weren't to discuss it again?

She thought of how he'd gone to New York after they'd first kissed. How he'd returned cold, and closed off.

Hermione quickly closed shop, and headed home.

The next morning, after barely catching enough sleep to suffice for the day, Hermione was woken by the gentle weight of Ginny laying down next to her in her bed.

"Ginny?" She rubbed her eyes. "It's four in the morning."

"Yeah, it's your turn, Granger."

Hermione turned on her side and waited for Ginny to talk. Ginny stared at the ceiling with wide eyes. She hadn't slept at all.

"I've done a thing."

"What's wrong?" Hermione pushed her hair away from her face.

Ginny looked over at her. Then reached across and set something down on Hermione's hip.

A velvet box that Hermione had seen just last week.

"Oh, Ginny. No." Hermione ran her hands over her face.

"So, it's true?" Ginny's eyes were wide and watery. "This is it?"

"Where did you get that?"

"He told you? This is real?"