"Yes, I wanted to remind you that I have a Wizengamot hearing at ten."

"That's fine. That's fine." Mathilda shook off her coat and tossed it toward the chair in the corner, missing it.

"And I'd love a word, once you're settled in."

"Yes, yes." Mathilda sat in her chair. "I'm settled! Anything wrong?"

"No, not at all," Hermione said, taking the chair across from her. "I heard that Rosenberg is retiring."

"Yes! So exciting for Rochelle! She has seven grandchildren, you know?" Mathilda reached for a quill and knocked the ink pot over.

"I didn't know, actually." She watched as the woman across from her vanished the spilled ink and dipped her quill in, writing HG 11-8-99 across the top of a scroll. "I wanted to let you know that I plan to apply."

Mathilda looked up at her. "Really?"

"Yes," she said. "You know that I am very passionate about house-elf rights, and I hope you would consider me once the job has been posted."

Mathilda chewed on her lip and sat back in her chair. "It would be a lateral move for you."

"Yes, but a move in the right direction, still."

Mathilda nodded and sat forward, jotting notes on her scroll. Hermione wondered if that was all?

"Rochelle has been at that desk for forty years. Did you know that?" Mathilda crossed a "t" and looked up at her again.

"I didn't."

"She is very like you. Passionate about the house-elves. She turned down every offer at a higher-ranking position over those forty years, because she couldn't tear herself away from them. She was very comfortable." Mathilda clasped her hands in front of her. "I'd hate for you to get comfortable, Hermione."

Hermione blinked at her. "I... I understand. I plan to continue upward as the positions open."

"But only in House-Elf Relocation?"

"I... Well," Hermione swallowed. "I guess my short-term goal has always been Relocation, yes. But—"

"What is your long-term goal, Hermione?"

Hermione opened her mouth. And closed it. Mathilda continued.

"Did you know that Millicent Bagnold worked in five of the Ministry's seven departments before being elected Minister? Scrimgeour started in Transport and then worked his way up the D.M.L.E. before heading the Auror office. Leonard Spencer-Moon worked as a tea-boy in Magical Accidents and Catastrophies before moving up to the Muggle Liaison Office and then over to D.M.L.E. for Misuse of Muggle Artefacts."

Mathilda smiled at her. These were all Ministers. Minister.

"It is wise, Miss Granger," Mathilda whispered, "to consider other departments as you move upwards. It will only help you in the end."

In the end. What was Hermione Granger's end?

"That is definitely something to think about Mathilda. Thank you."

"I wanted to let you know," Mathilda stood and began opening shelves, pulling files, "that Robards is quite impressed with you."

"Gawain Robards?"

"Yes," she said, dropping more files onto her desk. "Draco Malfoy will be leaving in December – excellent article in the paper today, by the way. Did you get a chance to read it?"

"Er, yes –"

"Well, Robards is looking to make Malfoy's position a full-time senior analyst position." She smiled at her. "He is hoping you will apply."