21 - Bang

It was April 2nd, 1996.

In the mere hours since the incident occurred at the Room of Requirement, tension had risen between the members of Dumbledore's Army, especially with those in Ravenclaw.

The stone wall of rules shook with every rise and fall of Filch's hammer. Though almost every inch appeared to be occupied, the caretaker seemed to always find space for just one more framed decree.

Educational Decree No. 119: Dolores Jane Umbridge has replaced Albus Dumbledore as Head of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Ellie stood among the Golden Trio, their faces struck with horror at the realization of Umbridge's absolute power.

"That bloody arse," Ron muttered through gritted teeth.

It stayed quiet for a moment, the atmosphere filled with uneasiness. Hermione reached for her girlfriend's hand, their fingertips barely touching.

Hermione turned to the Hufflepuff with worry, though she shielded it with curiosity. "Ellie, I forgot to ask you. What happened last night?"

"Yeah, what happened with you too, mate?" Ron questioned, nudging Harry with his elbow.

Ellie jumped in quickly to reassure the two, her voice nonchalant as she shrugged casually. "It's nothing, really. Just a talk with the Ministry."

"Nothing? It definitely wasn't 'nothing'!" Harry blurted immediately. "Dumbledore took my fall, and now he's gone."

Ellie had now turned to fully face the boy, her hands now rested on her hips. "And have you expelled? I would have done the same thing if I was in his position."

"You would've gotten expelled too!"

"You would've gotten expelled too?!" Hermione repeated, her voice raised slightly as she whipped her head to face the Hufflepuff.

"It's really not a big deal. I got out of it," Ellie reassured calmly.

"Ellie!" Despite her girlfriend's words of reassurance, Hermione's expression remained in disbelief, her eyebrows still furrowed.

"I'm fine, really. Don't worry about it."

Without warning, the overhead speaker screeched with feedback, causing the surrounding students to cover their ears in response. Groans echoed throughout the corridors as an unpleasant voice emerged from the device.

Boys and girls are not permitted to be within eight inches of each other.

"That's bloody inconvenient," Ron muttered.

The next moment consisted of an a failed attempt of stifling a laugh, though it came out more of a snort.

Ron frowned at Ellie, tilting his head with curiosity. "What do you find so funny?"

It only took a momentary glance between the other three before they burst out into a fit of laughter. Though Harry was laughing at Ron's complaint, the girls found themselves relating to another aspect of the rule.

Ron folded his arms over his chest in a demanding manner. "What's so bloody funny?"

Ellie smiled innocently as she shrugged her shoulders. "Nothing, Ron. This rule wouldn't concern me either."

From the corner of her eye, Ellie watched as Hermione's lips curled into a subtle smirk, her head brought downwards in attempt to hide it.

As the day progressed, it seemed as if the color had drained from Hogwarts. The corridors were silent, the students being too afraid to even speak. The walls echoed with rules being repeated, over and over again.