15 - Veritaserum

It was December 2nd, 1995.

The feast was louder than usual, considering Umbridge's absence from the High Table. The students seemed to be in high spirits, talking amongst themselves freely without fear of detention.

Ellie sat alone at the Hufflepuff table, taking a sip of her pumpkin juice every so often while she observed the other tables. She ignored the conversations that surrounded her, some students talking about Quidditch while others talked about their classes.

A painfully foul voice suddenly rang from the speaker above them, its feedback scratching before Umbridge's announcement.

Ellie Evans to the High Inquisitor's office immediately. Ellie Evans to the High Inquisitor's office immediately.

Ellie froze in her seat, slowly turning her head to look at the Golden Trio. Their faces were struck with fear, their mouth parted slightly at the announcement. Her mind raced with any reason for her summoning, racking her brain in attempt to remember any slip-ups. The Hufflepuff felt the stares of the other members of Dumbledore's Army, swallowing hard in attempt to ease her nerves.

The chatter in the Great Hall had silenced as everyone watched Ellie stand up from her table. The Hufflepuff stiffly walked towards the door, not even giving a second look backwards. She made her way to Umbridge's office, finding that the door was already open, the pink theme dreadfully uninviting.

"Sit now, dear. Would you like a cup of tea?" Umbridge offered from behind her desk as Goyle closed the door behind her.

Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle stood behind the chair in which Ellie sat, their robes pinned with the words Inquisitorial Squad. Ellie narrowed her eyes at the blonde, but he simply kept a straight face, giving no attention to the Hufflepuff.

"No thank you, ma'am. I just ate," Ellie declined in the most respectful tone she could muster.

"Please, I insist you have tea. It's a good supplement after a meal," Umbridge urged, shoving the full cup closer to Ellie.

Ellie stared at it for a second, watching the surface of the liquid become still. It swirled with a sharp aroma, making her scrunch her nose. She looked up to Umbridge warily, who gave her an encouraging nod. Ellie hesitated for moment but nonetheless brought the cup up to her lips, taking two gulps of the warm tea. The fluid tickled her throat, in which she cleared it subtly.

"How was it?" Umbridge questioned. "I've added a special ingredient, just for you."

"What did you give me?"

"Veritaserum. It's a quite powerful truth potion," Umbridge grinned with triumph.

"But Professor, it's not going to work anymore," Draco spoke from behind Ellie.

"Contrary to what Professor Snape taught you, Veritaserum can be very... promising. You were taught that it works best upon the unsuspecting and those who cannot resist it. Combined together, Veritaserum would be useless. However, considering that Miss Evans is not capable of resisting such potions, it will work just fine."

Ellie shifted in her chair nervously, gritting her teeth in annoyance as she kept her mouth shut. The lady stood up from her chair with a mischievous smirk, her hands folded behind her as she bent down next to the Hufflepuff.

"Now, Miss Evans. I have received intel that you entered the Room of Requirement last month, correct?"

"Yes," Ellie answered cautiously, deciding to push her luck a little further to gain knowledge. "May I ask who gave you this information?"

"Crabbe and Goyle. Members of the Inquisitorial Squad."

Ellie sighed subtly, glad to hear that she hadn't heard Draco's name.